On Good Morning America today (August 3) co-host Robin Roberts made a low-key announcement. The entire cast of American Idol will return for Season 20
“It is official announced Roberts. “Judges Lionel Richie, Luke Bryan and Katy Perry plus host Ryan Seacrest are all back for a fifth season.” She added, “Like it was ever in doubt! They’re fantastic together!”
The big announcement comes ahead of “Idol Across America” live virtual auditions, which kick off this Friday August 6 in Georgia, North Carolina and South Carolina. More information at AmericanIdol.com/auditions.
For the second year in a row, “Idol Across America” offers hopefuls the opportunity to audition face-to-face with an American Idol producer, from anywhere in America, across any official audition date for a chance to sing in front of the judges.
ABC announced last May that the veteran singing competition would return for a landmark 20th season, the fifth on ABC/Disney. However, the network had yet to re-sign the cast. It’s been typical of ABC to announce the return of the judges and Seacrest until later in the summer. ABC announced the return of the cast in August last year and the year before.
At this point, fans barely give it a thought. Folks assume everyone will return, barring a snag in contract negotiations.
— Good Morning America (@GMA) August 3, 2021
“Luke, Katy, Lionel and Ryan are music and industry icons that have become synonymous with ‘Idol’”
“Luke, Katy, Lionel and Ryan are music and industry icons that have become synonymous with ‘Idol’ on ABC,” said Rob Mills, executive vice president, Unscripted and Alternative Entertainment, Walt Disney Television. “Their star power is unmatched, and their support is a gift to our contestants that have deeply benefited from their wisdom over the past four seasons—and they’re ready to do it again. As we begin a momentous season, I think it’s safe to say this dream team has officially cemented their legacy on ‘Idol.’”
“’American Idol’ is still the original music show that genuinely creates superstars and continues to evolve to allow true artists to succeed in this unique business,” said executive producer and showrunner Megan Wolflick. “The chemistry and passion Katy, Luke, Lionel and Ryan bring is second to none. We couldn’t be more ecstatic that they are returning for this iconic 20th season in search of the freshest new talent that this nation has to offer.”
“We are thrilled that Katy, Lionel, Luke and Ryan will be back to help discover our next American Idol,” said executive producer Eli Holzman, CEO of Industrial Media. “This dream team has selected and guided some of the most talented ‘Idol’ contestants in the history of the series, and we can’t wait to see who they’ll find next.”
“Idol Across America” auditions will be held as follows (subject to change):
• Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina (Aug. 6)
• Connecticut, New Jersey, New York (Aug. 8)
• Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas (Aug. 11)
• Florida, Michigan, Virginia, West Virginia (Aug. 13)
• Alabama, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi (Aug. 16)
• Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee (Aug. 18)
• Alaska, California, Hawaii, Nevada (Aug. 21)
• Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming (Aug. 23)
• Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Wisconsin (Aug. 25)
• Open Call: Nationwide (Aug. 27)
• Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah (Aug. 31)
• Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont (Sept. 2)
• Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Washington D.C. (Sept. 8)
• Open Call: The South (Sept. 10)
• Open Call: East Coast (Sept. 13)
• Open Call: West Coast (Sept. 16)
• Open Call: Nationwide (Sept. 21)