In this week’s breakdown video, mentor, Scott Borchetta, speaks from his home turf. The American Idol 14 Top 5 finalists travelled to Nashville last Thursday to get a taste of what life would be like as a recording artist on Scott’s Big Machine Label Group.
Cut with shots of the singers hanging out in the studio with guest mentors Martina McBride (helping out the girls) and Jay Demarcus (working with the boys) are clips of Scott breaking down what each of the finalists need to do this week:
Read More: American Idol 14 Top 5 Song Spoilers
- On Jax: “Last week, Jax nailed 2 performances. That’s two weeks in a row that she has delivered both looks. This week she just needs to continue the momentum.”
- On Nick Fradiani: “Nick Fradiani continues his momentum as well. I would argue that he has had two very successful weeks. This week, Nick has to continue his great song selection. He needs to put the guitar down. He needs to be the front man. He needs to pull out his “inner Mick Jagger” and give some more of that to us.
- On Clark Beckham: “Clark continues to be a challenge in the sense that he has that upper register that is extraordinary. But he needs to show something else. He keeps falling back to the same trick. I hope this guy isn’t a one trick pony.”
- On Tyanna Jones: “Tyanna had another very solid week. I don’t know if she has really helped herself, but she hasn’t hurt herself. She may have more to work on than anybody else. And it’s experience.”
- On Rayvon Owen: “Rayvon. Four twitter saves in a row. He might have attained this inner strength. Who knows how far he can go now. This week, Rayvon needs to continue to loosen up.”
Major de-pimping of frontrunner, Clark Beckham, this week, which actually has been going on for the past couple of weeks. Scott’s special snowflakes are clearly Jax and Nick Fradiani. His dream final two perhaps?
He also seems to be giving somewhat of a goodbye speech to Tyanna Jones, as if he doesn’t expect her to outlast the seemingly invincible Rayvon Owen. We’ll see who makes it to the Top 4 when American Idol airs tonight at 8/7c PM on FOX.
UPDATE: Judge Keith Urban tells Ryan Seacrest that Tyanna Jones needs to up her game:
“She’s got a great voice, but she’s … not standing out,” the country singer explains. “She was standing out early in the competition and I feel she’s drifting off to the edges now. She’s got an amazing gift and she’s only 16. I think she can come and claim her spot.”