Former America’s Got Talent judge Sharon Osbourne is in more hot water. First, CBS put The Talk, the afternoon talk show Sharon currently co-hosts, on hiatus in order to investigate the heated exchange she had with fellow co-host Sheryl Underwood. Sharon argued on behalf of Piers Morgan who made what many consider racist statements about Prince Harry’s wife, Meghan Markle.
Sharon may have walked back those remarks, but now her problems have gotten worse. A LOT worse. Journalist Yashar Ali (who helped break the story about the toxic culture backstage at America’s Got Talent) has multiple sources claiming that Sharon made racist remarks about some of her former co-hosts.
Here are a few of Sharon’ alleged racist misdeeds. Former co-hosts Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete were fired after season 1 in 2011, and they blame Sharon for their exits. Both go on the record with explosive charges.
- Sharon would frequently refer to then-co-host Julie Chen, who is Chinese American, as “wonton” and “slanty eyes,” according to Remini and anonymous sources. She also tried to keep her from having a leadership role on the show
- She also referred to former co-host and exec producer Sara Gilbert, who is a lesbian as “p**** licker” and “fish eater,” according to Remini and sources.
- Remini also claims that Sharon would refer to her using Italian ethnic slurs, WOP and Guinea.
- In a tweet posted Friday regarding the argument between Sharon and Sheryl, Robinson Peete, who is Black, wrote: “I’m old enough to remember when Sharon complained that I was too ‘ghetto’ for #theTalk … then I was gone. I bring this up now bc I was mortified watching the disrespectful condescending tone she took w/her co host who remained calm & respectful because … she HAD to.”
- Sharon responded to Robinson Peete’s tweet by sending a cease and desist letter to her demanding she take the tweet down within 24 hours. It’s still up.
- Remini and Robinson Peete both believe Sharon worked behind the scenes to get them fired. Sharon says she has no authority to fire anybody.
- Sources say Sharon is a bully on the show, often threatening to quit if she doesn’t get her way. However, producers overlook her toxic behavior, because they consider her valuable, as she knows how to generate attention-grabbing headlines.
- Remini claims that Sharon took her to lunch and tried to persuade her to help get Robinson Peete fired. “We should find another Black person who is funny,” said Sharon who didn’t think Robinson Peete was a “good person.”
- Sources say Sharon has a LONG history of racist language.
Julie Chen left The Talk in September 2018 following her husband. Les Moonves’ departure from CBS, and Sara Gilbert left in 2019. Of the original co-hosts, only Sharon remains.
Sharon responded to the allegations through her publicist, Howard Bragman:
“The only thing worse than a disgruntled former employee is a disgruntled former talk show host. For 11 years Sharon has been kind, collegial and friendly with her hosts as evidenced by throwing them parties, inviting them to her home in the UK and other gestures of kindness too many to name. Sharon is disappointed but unfazed and hardly surprised by the lies, the recasting of history and the bitterness coming out at this moment. She will survive this, as she always has and her heart will remain open and good, because she refuses to let others take her down. She thanks her family, friends and fans for standing by her and knowing her true nature.”
The Talk will be on hiatus indefinitely, as CBS investigates.