On Tuesday, actress Taraji P. Henson guest hosted The Kelly Clarkson Show. But it appears to be a last minute thing, as host Kelly Clarkson called in to explain, wearing a Chrissy Teigen robe, and sporting a sleep mask on the top of her head, that she’s now “quarantining.”
Kelly quarantined at home after being exposed to COVID-19
“I’m not even sick. It’s so weird. We’re keeping it safe,” Kelly said. Apparently, the singer was exposed to somebody who tested positive for COVID-19. She didn’t test positive herself.
After chatting about her kids, Remington and River’s eating habits and their obsession with the Disney animated film Encanto, Kelly discussed her role in the new ABC talent competition, American Song Contest, which she will be hosting with Snoop Dogg.
“I’m so excited,” Kelly gushed. “I didn’t know when we’d be able to talk about it, but apparently, I can now. So it’s called American Song Contest and I’ve been talking to the producers of The Voice and Eurovision for a minute about it.”
Kelly is excited to co-host American Song Contest, she’s a big fan of Eurovision
Kelly has been a fan of the original European competition, Eurovision. “I’ve been obsessed with Eurovision. When I went overseas years ago after winning Idol, I noticed this huge competition. I never heard of it before. And it was amazing.”
“And I thought it was so cool because all the territories get represented. So they’re finally bringing it over to the States.” Kelly feels the show could have a healing effect on the nation. “I think everybody could agree, we’re pretty divided like as a nation. And it’s really cool because all 50 states, there’s five US, territories and then DC, Our nation’s Capital, everybody gets represented.”
“There’s a person representing, every state, every part and they all enter in this competition. And the cool thing about it too, is that it’s original songs. As a songwriter, I think that’s awesome. There’s a lot of shows out there that have competitions with singing or artists or whatever. And it’s really cool because it’s the best song wins out. And I’m co-hosting with Snoop Dogg. We worked together on The Voice. It was so fun.”
She took the American Song Contest hosting job, partly to work with Snoop Dogg again
A few seasons ago, Snoop served as the the Knockout round mega-mentor helping all the teams get ready for competition.
Taraji added, “He’s great. I know him from Baby Boy, years, years ago. But he’s still a really dear friend of mine. He’s incredible. You’re going to have a good time. That’s not even going to be work!”
“They asked me and first of all, I’m such a nerd,” Kelly admitted. “I’m so excited about the show. It was just exciting because I liked working with Snoop Dogg.” She joked, “This is probably going to be what I’m going to wear for that too. So that’s good. Keeping it real all the time!”
American Song Contest premieres on Monday March 21 and will run for 8 weeks. Every show is live, and features 3 separate rounds. The finale is set for Monday May 9.
More from the interview
- Taraji talked a little bit about being cast in the film adaption of the Broadway Musical, The Color Purple, alongside American Idol season 3 winner, Fantasia Barrino. The actress has been cast as Shug Avery.
- Kelly joked that what she watches after putting the kids to bed indicates the kind of day she’s had. “You can tell I’m having a rough time. If I just go to one of my classic shows that I like…if you catch me watching Pillow Talk by Doris Day, it’s a dark moment I’m having. Or Castle. I’ve been watching reruns of Castle. And he doesn’t exist. That character doesn’t exist. That’s a lie! That man is not out there!” (That show, which ran in ABC for 9 seasons, starred the very suave and handson Nathan Fillion).
- While explaining her 5 year old son’s eating habits, Kelly said that although his dad is a rancher (Kelly has accused her ex Brandon Blackstock of squatting on HER ranch in Montana) Remy blames her for chicken nuggets. “His dad is a rancher. But [Remy] is against ME.” If he finds out that you kill the animal, “he’ll look at me, he’ll be like, is this an animal? And I’ll be like, well, yeah, it’s chicken, and he’s like, oh no.”
- Kelly also chatted about remodeling her new house. “When people come to my house. It looks like I have Dexter kill rooms everywhere. Renovations are not fun, but they have to be done.” Dexter is a TV drama about a serial killer.
- Also, Kelly shared that she is so busy, that she still has her Christmas decorations up, including her tree. The problem is that she couldn’t get the right “containers” to store everything. “They’re on their way.” But now she’s considering keeping the tree up year round and using it for different holidays. “I’m going to be that crazy person.”