Dancing with the Stars returns to ABC this fall for its 28th season after a year-long absence. The network hopes to freshen up the franchise with a series of tweaks, and promises high-profile casting.
The network was still in discussions with producer BBC Studios, ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke said in an interview with Deadline at Monday’s Television Critics Association Disney/ABC press day, but she was expecting a “big season.”
“The producers were just in last week talking about the casting and the creative evolution. It’s all very exciting. It won’t be major format changes, just tweaking and tinkering… the show’s been on so long and it’s been so successful elsewhere, I think they’ve done quite an impressive job of looking at what works,” she told Deadline.
She is hoping that the format tweaks will lead to more seasons of the show, and also hints at some high profile casting.
“I’m quite excited about the casting they’ve put together. It’s not done, but the names that I have heard [are impressive]. I think it’s going to be a big season,” she said.
Good Morning America promoted a mini cast reveal–two contestants–for Monday August 5. But the show cancelled the segment. Maybe it was due to a busy and somber news day, but in any case, the reveal has been put off indefinitely.