First a big welcome back to Dana who is once again live blogging The Voice, while I cover American Idol. The second night of The Voice 16 Blind Auditions are in the books. What did you think of the performances?
For a hot minute I thought the Kelly Clarkson “men never choose me narrative” might be leading up to Dexter Roberts going against the grain and choosing Team Kelly over Team Blake. Oh what might have been! All that avoiding the ONE BIG THING the two have in common. FYI for folks who didn’t watch American Idol season 13, which Dexter left in 7th place: The Rocky Spotted Fever news broke only because it forced Dexter to leave the American Idol tour. He kept quiet about it for awhile before finally explaining his perplexing exit. In any case, Dexter is a talented singer. Good luck to him on The Voice!
When a male singer finally DID choose Kelly, Jej Vincent, it wasn’t a big shock. Sure, choosing John Legend might have made more sense, but Jej, who grew up in the Philippines, has probably been a Kelly fan his whole life.
A couple of other notes:
- Kanard Thomas deserved at least one chair turn. He could have brought more passion to the performance, but I loved his raspy tone!
- On the other hand, I can’t believe John turned for the bland Jacob Maxwell. Ditto Adam and Karley Moreno
- Poor Luna Searls. Iced out TWICE. Ouch. Why even air the audition?
- I was relieved that a coach finally turned for Carter Lloyd (Blake). I really liked his tone!
- Cute trick having a dad and daughter audition separately. However, young Ruby McAloon is 100% not ready for prime time. Come back in a few years kiddo. Bonus: Your dad will have experienced at least a round or two as a contestant and will be able to offer valuable tips!
Vote in the Polls
Grade the Episode