The Voice of Holland, the original version of the hit singing competition, is in the midst of a sexual and power abuse scandal. Season 12 of the show, created by John de Mol premiered on January 7. But it has been suspended until an investigation of the allegations is completed.
A criminal complaint filed against a person on The Voice of Holland
According to NL times, composer and keyboardist Jeroen Rietbergen is leaving the program immediately. The Public Prosecution Service also confirmed that a criminal complaint connected to a person on the show was filed this week.
Additionally, An official complaint was filed against The Voice of Holland coach Ali B for sexual misconduct the Telegraaf reported.
Ali B insists he is innocent
In an interview with De Telegraaf, Ali B said he was innocent. “I am 100 percent convinced of my innocence. The allegation is about something that happened long ago and that is not true.”
Ali B’s management reacted to the complaint on Instagram, stating, “Many things are not clear, but one thing is for sure: Ali has never abused his position and has never displayed sexually inappropriate behavior.”
The BNNVARA news program BOOS uncovered the misconduct. “The allegations are very serious and shocking and were not known to RTL,” the broadcaster stated in a press release.
Jeroen Rietbergen confessed, apologized and stepped down from the show
“This Saturday, the editors received a confession and apology from the band leader of The Voice, Jeroen Rietbergen. He announced that he will stop his work at The Voice immediately,” BNNVARA wrote in its own press release. “The Voice of Holland has stated that it was not aware of these abuses and has decided to conduct an independent investigation.” Rietbergen was previously in a relationship with Linda de Mol, the sister of The Voice creator John de Mol.
Additionally, Dutch singer Marco Borsato was also the subject of sexual abuse allegations late last year. Borsato was also a coach on The Voice of Holland from 2011-2015.
BOOS program director, Tim Hofman began his investigation into power and sexual abuse claims in talent scouting shows in August. During his research, Hofman received information from people who said they experienced “sexually transgressive behavior” while on The Voice of Holland.
Television producer ITV reacted to the allegations stating, “Our highest priority is to provide a safe and supportive environment for everyone who participates and works on our shows. ITV Studios has a zero-tolerance policy towards the kind of behavior that is said to have taken place. We have immediately ordered an outside investigation.”
UPDATE: Coach Anouk exits The Voice of Holland, calls it “a rotten mob”
“Well, what a mess of it all. How incredibly sad and disappointing,” she began a statement to the press. “I have to tell you frankly that I didn’t say anything. I actually wanted to wait for next Thursday’s episode of BOOS. But now that I’ve seen a number of statements from before, among others, Jeroen Rietbergen and also after a few phone calls I’ve had with certain people… yeah, in Actually I know enough,” she says. “And I’ve decided I don’t want to go back to The Voice. It’s just a rotten mob.”
UPDATE: RTL drops The Voice of Holland
Broadcaster RTL has dropped The Voice of Holland. Main sponsor T-Mobile has also pulled out of its deal with the show. RTL and current production company ITV have brought in a team of outside experts to investigate the claims. Host Martijn Krabbé, who was with the series since season one in 2010, said he had no idea about the allegations and that he was in shock. Chantal Janzen, who is the show’s current host, called for no stone to be left unturned in an effort to get to truth.