Our SarahW is auditioning today in Jacksonville, Florida, and she’s sending me dispatches from inside the arena! Here’s what I got so far:
- 7:32 am – Omfg, It’s nasty out here! Just got here and walking to the line now.
- 7:47 – AI Alum sighting: Kimberley Locke
- 8:00 – Ryan (Seascrest) is here! They just brought him out to pump us up and shoot some crowd shots
- 9:37 – Just started with the local contest winners.
- 10:10 – Auditions are fully underway. About 7 or 8 people have gotten through. I’m in section 109 which will be about the 10th of 22 sections.
- 11:11 – They are putting a lot of guys through. About 21 that I’ve counted so far vs. about 11 girls.
- 1:54 pm – I’m about to go down on the floor. My row is in the next group to be called
- 2:40 – “Not what they are looking for this year” is what I was told
ETA: Sarah auditioned with Ingrid Michaelson’s “The Way I Am”. She didn’t make it through to the next round. One person in her group was sent through–an Alt/Rock girl who sang “Broken” by Seether and Amy Lee. The second song she sang was an original. Sarah says they were putting through a lot of emo looking guys (Pete Wentz types) and she saw some guys with cowboy hats going through. There were lots of boys going through in the morning, but then more girls starting going through in the afternoon when Sarah auditioned.
Ryan Seacrest came back to pump up the crowd some more, but then he had to leave to do his radio show, which he was doing live from the venue. Patrick Lynn told the crowd that it was the biggest turnout yet for any audition city this year. About 11, 000 showed up to audition.
Sarah is on the road, but she’ll be by to tell her own story in a few hours…
ETAA: Duke, another reader, auditioned today too. Read his account HERE.
Will be updating throughout the day…