I cannot believe this. Cory Monteith, who played football player, Finn Hudson, on Glee, was found dead at Vancouver’s Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel on Saturday afternoon. Cory had grown up in the region.
Glee star Cory Monteith was found dead at Vancouver’s Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel Saturday, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. He was 31.
BREAKING. More to come.
Press from the Vancouver PD is happening now here: Vancouver PD Press conference
- Shortly after noon the police got the call. Police were at the hotel within minutes. The man was clearly deceased.
- Cory was due to check out of the hotel today. There were others with him earlier last night. They believe he returned to the the room in the early morning hours (per electronic key swipe), but he was alone when he died. Staff found his body when he failed to check out at noon.
- People Cory was with earlier have been questioned. The police could not confirm who they were.
- All indications are that there was no foul play.
- Cause of death was not apparent on initial examination and pending until further medical investigation in the next day or two.
- Not discussing what they found in the room. Only notified family members about an hour ago. He checked into the hotel on July 6.
- Cory had been dead a few hours when discovered.
Cory had checked into a rehab facility in April to treat a substance abuse problem that he had initially battled as a teenager. He left the facility after about a month and had gone on a few vacations with his girlfriend, fellow Glee star, Lea Michele. By all accounts, he was looking healthy and ready to go back to work on Glee.
Cory was set to go back to work on Sunday, to film an interview with Lea for the FOX image campaign. Tweeted from an official FOX account on Saturday:
Glee was scheduled to go back into production in two weeks, at the end of July. Understandably, that is all up in the air right now. A source from the Glee set tells E News, “”Everyone is in shock. To say that Cory was much loved on the Glee set doesn’t even begin to do him justice.”
UPDATE: Statement on behalf of: GLEE Executive Producers, 20th Century Fox Television and FOX Broadcasting Company:
We are deeply saddened by this tragic news. Cory was an exceptional talent and an even more exceptional person. He was a true joy to work with and we will all miss him tremendously. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones.
Update: Lea Michele’s reps release a statement on her behalf
“We ask that everyone kindly respect Lea’s privacy during this devastating time.”
Thoughts and prayers go out to Cory’s family and friends, Lea and the rest of the Glee family.
This is just horrible, horrible, horrible news.