Well, this is really horrible news. Glee star, Cory Monteith, who plays lovable football player/New Directions coach, Finn Hudson, has checked into rehab. Via People
Actor Cory Monteith, who stars as Finn Hudson on the Fox series Glee, has checked into rehab, PEOPLE has learned exclusively.
The actor “has voluntarily admitted himself to a treatment facility for substance addiction,” his rep tells PEOPLE. “He graciously asks for your respect and privacy as he takes the necessary steps towards recovery.”
Cory has been open about his troubled past, giving a detailed interview to Parade Magazine a few years ago about how he eventually got clean at 19.
Shortly thereafter, he caught the acting bug, which eventually led to a starring role on the popular FOX show.
Fellow Glee star, Lea Michele, began dating Cory last year and has released this statement:
“I love and support Cory and will stand by him through this,” she tells PEOPLE exclusively. “I am grateful and proud he made this decision.”
Glee season 4 is set to wrap up production by the end of April. At this time, there are 2 more episodes to shoot. There is a good possibility, I would imagine, that Cory’s character would be written out of the rest of the season.
What really matters is that he takes all the time he needs to get clean and sober.
UPDATE: Production will proceed on the last two episodes of Glee. The abrupt absence of Cory’s character, Finn will be explained. In the meantime, FOX released a statement: (Via Deadline)
“Cory is a beloved member of the Glee family and we fully support his decision to seek treatment,” Glee producer 20th Century Fox TV said in a statement. “Everyone at the show wishes him well and looks forward to his return.”
Plus, twitter well-wishes from cast members, including co-creators, Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk:
- Ryan Murphy: I am so proud of Cory Monteith and love and support him 100%.
- Harry Shum, Jr: Supporting @CoryMonteith for his courageous decision. Get well soon my friend! Proud of you!
- Kevin McHale: Love u @CoryMonteith, so proud of you :)
- Brad Falchuk: Cory is like a son to me. He knows I love him.
- Jenna Ushkowitz: Sending lots of love and light to @CoryMonteith. We love you.
- Amber Riley: I support you big bro, love you to life. So proud of you @CoryMonteith get well soon