E News talked to Glee sources who have read the Cory Monteith tribute episode script have described it as “Gut-wrenching” and “so, so good.”
The episode, the third of season 5, is set to begin production in Los Angeles today.
“You will cry from beginning to end,” says one insider. And another said “I cried as I read it, on every page.”
Don’t expect many spoilers for this episode. Glee brass is keeping a tight lid on this one, it seems. The brazil based spoiler site, Gleek Out Brasil, that regularly posts spoilers from a show insider have said they will go dark until 5×04. We may not even get any song spoilers.
Here are the details:
- The name of the episode is “The Quarterback”
- The episode takes place in Lima, OH and centers around the death of Cory Monteith’s character Finn Hudson.
- It is not revealed how Finn dies
- The episode begins with the news of his death
- The story focuses on all the characters remembering him, mourning him, and celebrating his life.
- Rachel (Lea Michele) doesn’t appear in the episode until the final act. Her “presence is limited but incredibly powerful.” Lea sings.
- Santana (Naya Rivera) has a “great and memorable part in the episode.”
- The final song: “Get ready to ugly cry.”
- “Seasons of Love” from Rent will be one of the songs, according to FYeahGleeClub
Thoughts: I can understand keeping Finn’s death a mystery in this memorial episode, in order to keep the focus on Finn as he lived, rather than the way that he died. I am SO relieved that Ryan Murphy decided NOT to have Finn pass from an accidental drug overdose. Making the message of the episode “drugs are bad,” would have turned it into an overwrought PSA, rather than a loving celebration. Unlike Cory, Finn never have a drug problem, why start now? Still, I hope we learn how Finn passed at some point. As an invested fan of the show, I want to know!
Also, keeping Lea Michele’s involvement in the episode brief will not only make her presence an even bigger gut punch, but is also humane. Cory played her on-again off-again boyfriend on Glee, but also dated her in real life. Lea shouldn’t have to relive the grief of losing her real-life boyfriend all over again for the sake of a TV show.
UPDATE: Lea Michele is on set today. She tweeted this photo:
Today… ? pic.twitter.com/K51iTNrqZB
— Lea Michele (@msleamichele) August 23, 2013
Romy Rosemont, who plays Finn’s mother, Carole told a fan on twitter she’ll be part of the episode:
@MarionheartLea ill be there
— Romy Rosemont (@RomyRosemont) August 23, 2013
Yesterday, Jane Lynch tweeted this after reading the script:
— Jane Lynch (@janemarielynch) August 21, 2013
The Glee Cory Monteith tribute episode will air on October 10. Glee season 5 premieres on September 26.
Via E News
Glee Cory Monteith Tribute to Begin Shooting This Week (DETAILS)
Glee Season 5 Spoilers – Lea Michele Helps Writers Address Cory Monteith Death
Ryan Murphy Reveals How Glee Season 5 Will Proceed Without Cory Monteith