The latest updates related to the sudden death of Glee star, Cory Monteith. The 31 year old actor was found dead at Vancouver’s Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel on Saturday afternoon.
We’ve got an update on when to expect results from today’s autopsy. Details from reports that Cory was seen partying days before his death. Statements from Glee co-star, Naya Rivera and Mike O’Malley, remembrances from friends and media critics and more.
- The Cory Monteith autopsy is scheduled to take place today. but the British Columbia Coroner’s office tells “US Weekly that they “definitely” will not have toxicology and autopsy reports for Cory available on Monday (July 15). However, USA Today reports that the results are expected to be expedited and will be released this week. ETA: The initial autopsy is complete, including taking samples for toxicology, B.C. Coroner Services spokeswoman Barb McLintock told THR late Monday afternoon. The results should be available Tuesday (June 16). BUT additional tests to establish cause of death may be required if they prove to be inconclusive. Cory’s family will be the first to receive the results. “We don’t want them reading stuff in the newspaper or on websites first,” she insisted.
- There are many reports on Cory’s last days in Vancouver. The above photo was taken by Cory’s manager, Elena Kirschner at the East of Main Cafe Thursday where Cory dined with her and casting agent, Maureen Webb. The message read, “Great meal with good friends.”
- TMZ posted photos of Cory taken with friends on July 6, the day he arrived in Vancouver. The owner of the bike shop Cory and his friends were hanging out in front of said that the group “chilled” for a while and that Cory “knocked back 3 cold ones over the course of a few hours” but that he “didn’t seem wasted.” A girl in the photo is clutching a couple of cans of Pabst beer.
- E Online has sources that say “numerous amounts of alcohol” and other as yet unidentified substances were allegedly found in the hotel room where Cory died. The actor had reportedly been “partying with his friends” in “at least one club” in Vancouver’s Downtown Eastside neighborhood Friday night, according to a source. “Yes, he had recently been drinking alcohol, but not to the extent there was any alcohol poisoning kind of impact,” says the source. Notice all the qualifiers in the story. The E report is hearsay at this point. Neither the BC police department or coroner has released info about what happened to Cory in the days before his death.
- Glee star, Naya Rivera has released a statement in the aftermath of the death of her dear friend and co-worker, Cory: “The entire Glee family and I are deeply saddened by this tragedy. Cory was and always will be a part of my own family and a good friend. He was a special part of this world and will forever be missed. My heart goes out to Cory’s family and Lea and while we are grateful for everyone’s well wishes, privacy during this time of grief is greatly appreciated.” (Hollywood Reporter)
- Actor, Mike O’Malley, who plays step-dad, Burt Hummel, to Cory’s character, Finn on Glee says of the late star, “”Cory Monteith was a great guy; Funny, deep, thoughtful, and hardworking,” O’Malley tells PEOPLE. “In real life, he was the coolest dude, generous, and a great friend to his pals. As Finn Hudson, he did what so many actors strive to do: authentically portray human behavior in a specific, understated manner, thereby eliciting laughter and creating camaraderie with his audience. If an ability to show others kindness and fostering fellowship are two qualities that all humans should strive for, Cory mastered them long before he died. He deserved a long life. His death has rocked all of us at Glee.”
- Gia Milani, who directed Cory in the movie, All the Wrong Reasons. revealed that “The cast and crew adored him. Sometimes he would sneak out and hide behind the crew vans and surprise his fans who had discovered where we were shooting and would gather, hoping for a glimpse.” (LA Times)
- In a new interview with Larry King conducted before Cory’s death, Glee co-star, Jane Lynch, said he was “doing great” after “renewing his vows to sobriety.” The cast, she added, is “very close.” Jane herself has been in recovery from drugs and alcohol for many years. Watch the interview at The Wrap.
- An insider tells US Magazine that Cory and his girlfriend, Glee co-star Lea Michele, were planning on moving in together after he got back from Vancouver. They “weren’t talking engagement or marriage yet but it was heading that way. The first step was Cory was going to move in [to Michele’s L.A. home] completely. He was already there all the time.” The couple were “100 percent happy and together and in love at the time of his death,” stresses the source.
- Perhaps, in an effort to make up for the negative sting of their gossip reports, E News quotes a friend of Cory’s who notes the good deeds he performed during his short lifetime. “The most important thing in this tragic time that I want people to understand and realize is Cory the person. And to me Cory the person was a kind, selfless, genuine person that gave,” Cory’s friend Brook Lander Shurtz recalled. “And one example I could touch on is this little girl that contacted him from Connecticut, and she was terminally ill. And all she wanted to do was be a part of the Glee set. ” Because the girl was too ill to travel, Cory made a point of visiting her when he was on the east coast.
- Bravo is set to re-air the Inside the Actors Studio episode that featured the Glee cast, taped in December 2011 and originally aired April 2012. Remember that the show’s host, James Lipton, guest starred on Glee Season 3, when he auditioned Cory’s character Finn for the Actor’s Studio Drama School. He rejected him. In the Actor’s Studio episode, when Lipton asked Cory, “If heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?” Cory’s God said, “Uh, sorry I haven’t been around. There’s a good explanation.” The episode will re-air on Bravo on Thursday July 18 at 6 pm and Friday July 19 at 7 pm. (TVByTheNumbers)
- To read a couple of well-written remembrances, check out Jody Rosen at Vulture, and one from Rae Votta who writes great fan friendly recaps and interviews for Billboard.
- Photos of Cory’s memorial at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel where he died can be found on Tumblr. If you want a good cry, scroll through the Finchel and Cory Monteith tags.