Brynn Cartelli, a 15-year-old music and high school student from Longmeadow, Mass., and a member of Team Kelly Clarkson, was crowned champion of The Voice Tuesday night (May 22). The soulful pop artist is the youngest winner ever in the history of NBC’s competition series.
Brynn faced tough competition from the other Top 4 finalists — Spensha Baker and Kyla Jade from Team Blake Shelton, and Britton Buchanan from Team Alicia Keys.
Monday night (May 21) on the performance finale, Brynn debuted her original single “Walk My Way,” which was co-written by multi-platinum selling artist and songwriter Julia Michaels, who has written many of the biggest hit songs of the past several years.
Right after her big win, Brynn and Coach Kelly took questions from reporters. Here are a few of the highlights:
- Kelly plans to stay involved in Brynn’s career. She realizes the show airs twice a year and they will need to capitalize on her momentum. “That’s why we went hard for that single,” Kelly explained adding that Brynn is an “amazing songwriter as well.”
- Kelly considers “Walk My Way” as Brynn’s “bridge single” much like Kelly’s coronation single “A Moment Like This” was for her.
- Brynn is only a freshman in high school (!!!). She attends a public school and plans to continue. So no “Neon Dreams” stint in Las Vegas for her.
- Brynn was Kelly’s first chair turn. She calls herself a “cheerleader.” Kelly said that while it might look like she’s doing everything, “I’m not.” Brynn picked every song she performed except for the group performances. Their duet song “Don’t Dream It’s Over” was Brynn’s idea
- Brynn kept writing songs all through her Voice journey–chronicling her experiences. The people who came into her life inspired her songwriting. “It’s been amazing,” she said.
- Kelly believes Brynn is totally ready for a music career, unlike she was at the same age. She loves mentoring young singers. She is keeping in touch with all her team members. They’ve all sent her songs, even Jackie Foster who eventually went to Team Alicia. “I would love to help out as many people as possible,” she said
- As soon as she hit the Battles and Knockouts Brynn began thinking about the kind of album she would like to make. Back home waiting for the lives to begin, she arranged her favorite original songs into ordered setlists for possible albums and EPs
- Radio play “is our complete goal” said Kelly. “That is why we were so excited about that particular song [Walk My Way] …it’s such a radio hit already.” She added, “We are going to hit radio hard.” Kelly believes working her own singles to radio will help Brynn. “If we’re going to be calling in about [my single] we’re going to call in and have Brynn with me too.” Kelly stresses the need for a competent team to work her record. (But if the label doesn’t work it, there is nothing much Kelly can do? They aren’t even on the same major label–Kelly is with Warner Brothers.)
Watch the full press conference below.