Bachelor in Paradise suspended production last weekend weekend due to “allegations of misconduct.”
The incident, said to be a sexual encounter between two intoxicated cast members, reportedly occurred during the first day of production on the Mexico set. Now, one of the two cast members at the center of the incident is going speaking out.
Corinne Olympios released a statement via her publicist Stan Rosenfield:
I am a victim and have spent the last week trying to make sense of what happened on June 4. Although I have little memory of that night, something bad obviously took place, which I understand is why production on the show has now been suspended and a producer on the show has filed a complaint against the production
As a woman, this is my worst nightmare and it has now become my reality. As I pursue the details and facts surrounding that night and the immediate days after, I have retained a group of professionals to ensure that what happened on June 4 comes to light and I can continue my life, including hiring an attorney to obtain justice and seeking therapy to begin dealing with the physical and emotional trauma stemming from that evening.
Olympios has hired top Hollywood attorney Marty Singer to represent her. Hm. I suspect a lawsuit is forthcoming. The male cast member involved is DeMario Jackson and has yet to release an official statement, although he did speak with TMZ.
UPDATE: Jackson released a statement:
It’s unfortunate that my character and family name has been assassinated this past week with false claims and malicious allegations,” the 30-year-old said in a statement via his publicist, Eve Sarkisyan-Nunn. I will be taking swift and appropriate legal action until my name is cleared and, per the advice of legal counsel, will be seeking all available remedies entitled to me under the laws.
Yesterday, Bachelor host and producer Chris Harrison released his own statement:
By now, no doubt, you have heard that we have suspended production on this season’s Bachelor in Paradise. I can confirm to you that this is sadly the case. Out of respect to all involved, there’s only so much I can and will say at this time. Normally with a situation like this I would not say anything until the incident is fully resolved, but with all the rumors and misinformation being put out there, I don’t find that to be possible anymore.
Let me start by saying the safety and care of the cast and crew of our show is of the utmost importance to us. It is with this thought in mind that we made the decision to suspend filming. An investigation into the situation was started immediately. Warner Bros. is handling the details of that investigation. They’re moving quickly to gather all the facts, and once that’s done, a clear, concise decision can be made about where we go from here.
There are a lot of competing details in the various press accounts of the incident. And there’s a lot of misinformation out there too. We urge everyone to be patient until the investigation is complete.
I know in this day and age we want — and even expect — immediate answers, but in this case, it’s just not possible. So again, I urge you to please be patient and respect the privacy of the parties involved. I will keep you as informed and up to date as I possibly can. We’re sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment this may have caused the cast, the crew and our loyal fans. It is my sincere hope that we can come to a quick resolution on this and get back to work very soon.
Rumors have been swirling. One account suggests Olympios was nearly unconscious during the encounter. While sources tell The Hollywood Reporter the contestant appears “lucid” in the footage.
According to THR, A wedding between former castmates Evan Bass and Carly Waddell, who met on the show, is still taking place this weekend at the Paradise location in Mexico. The wedding was set to air during the Bachelor in Paradise season this summer and it is unclear how ABC will handle airing the event.
ABC has not made an official decision about whether the season will be canceled, as the investigation is still pending. However, if the investigation winds up in one to two weeks as expected, there isn’t a realistic timeline to turn around the season for its planned August 8 airdate.