There are only two weeks to go on AGT 2019 and it’s time for my second Power List of the season! Last week, I got a few things right and a few things wrong with my predictions. But I was genuinely happy with the five acts that made it through, and that matters more than me being right.
This week’s lineup includes my four favorite acts of the season: Ryan Niemiller, V.Unbeatable, Luke Islam, and Chris Kläfford. Will all of them make it through? I highly doubt it. Will any of them? Almost certainly.
Once again, this is what I expect to happen, not what I want to happen. Here are my predictions, starting from the bottom:
11) Lukas & Falco – SEMIFINAL WILDCARD – This dog act did not make it through to the semifinal, and are the judges wildcard. Howie already began the process of bussing them last time, saying that they didn’t do any new tricks. As a result of the previous results, I would be absolutely stunned if they made it to the final.
10) Marcin Patrzalek – Marcin is amazing. He’s a better guitar player than Alejandro Aranda was on American Idol. He doesn’t sing, but it doesn’t matter. Watching him play is incredible. In my personal preference list, Marcin is near the top. But evidently, America disagrees with me on that, because he needed the judges save last round. And therefore, I’m afraid he’s a goner.
9) Chris Kläfford – This former Swedish Idol champion is my favorite singer this season on AGT. He’s got an amazing voice and I liked his original Judge Cuts song a lot. His first live show song wasn’t nearly as good. Chris also needed the Dunkin Save to advance. If I had my way, Chris would sail through to the final. But I doubt I’ll be so lucky.
8) Alex Dowis – Alex is the type of act I love on AGT. He’s Kseniya Simonova (the sand artist from AGT Champions) except his method uses lights, which enables more movement. Honestly, I think he’s better than Kseniya. But his audition wasn’t shown, and he hasn’t gotten as much attention as some of the other contestants. Unfortunately, I think his light is going to go out this round.
7) Detroit Youth Choir – Choirs never make the final on AGT. That is, until this year, when Ndlovu Youth Choir broke that pattern. Despite getting a golden buzzer at their first audition, I highly doubt that this choir can join Ndlovu in the final, particularly with so many great acts in this week’s episode.
6) Emanne Beasha – Every year on AGT, we have a young girl who sings opera. Every. Single. Year. And most years, that opera singer is eliminated during the semi-final. Emanne is clearly talented, but I’ve seen this exact act too many times to be impressed by it anymore. And I don’t think I’m alone. Emanne will probably just miss out on the final.
5) Voices of Service – Didn’t I write that it’s unlikely we would get two choirs on the final of AGT about two paragraphs ago? I did, because I don’t think of Voices of Service as a traditional choir. They’re more of a group. And their lead singer happens to have one of the best voices of the season. I’m not overly confident in this prediction, but I think that this group will edge their way into the final based on their story and their genuine talent.
4) Luke Islam – Julianne Hough’s golden buzzer happens to be one of the best kid singers on the show this year. His problem is that Benicio Bryant is more marketable than he is, and he lives in Islamophobic America with his last name being Islam. I think Luke has a great shot at the final, but I don’t think he’ll make the top 5.
3) Dom Chambers – Dom Chambers has a lot of charisma, and last week’s trick won over Simon and the judges. I personally thought the trick was far too easy to figure out, and I wasn’t impressed by it as a result. I thought Eric Chien was the stronger magician this year but I knew Simon wouldn’t let Shin Lim 2.0 win right after Shin Lim won twice. I also don’t think Simon will let any magician win this year if he has any say over it. I think Dom will make the final, but he’s not our winner. And I think the bus will start revving up this week.
2) Ryan Niemiller – On my podcast, Adam and I picked golden buzzers. Ryan was my golden buzzer. The first stand up comedian to make me laugh on AGT since 2016, Ryan is genuinely hilarious. As I alluded to in last week’s power list, he’s also great for disability representation, and makes my job easier. I want Ryan to win the whole show. Anecdotally, I’ve talked to several people who really like him a lot. But he’s not getting a ton of views on YouTube, so at best, he’s probably making top 4.
1) V.Unbeatable – This dance troupe is genuinely impressive. They are always in perfect sync, and their flips and tricks make my jaw drop sometimes. A dance troupe has never won AGT. Several of them have won BGT, but never AGT. I think that V.Unbeatable is the only act that could possibly pull an upset and win over Kodi Lee. And they are so great that I wouldn’t mind it one bit.