Mary J. Blige, Adam Lambert and Carrie Underwood hanging backstage at the AMAs
Taylor Swift won Artist of the Year, beating out Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Kings of Leon and Eminem. Swift won a total of 5 AMA’s. She shut out both Carrie Underwood (Favorite Female Country Artist) and Daughtry (Favorite Adult Contemporary Artist). She also won Favorite Female Pop Artist, and her album Fearless won Favorite Country album.
Michael Jackson won 4 awards, Favorite Male Soul R&B Artist, Favorite Male Pop/Rock Artist. Favorite Pop/Rock album for Number Ones and Favorite R&B album, also for Number Ones.
- Check out the list of nominees HERE.
Daughtry is nominated in the Adult Contemporary ‘ Favorite Artist category along with Jason Mraz and Taylor Swift.
Carrie Underwood got a nod in the Country ‘ Favorite Female Artist category. Taylor Swift and Reba McEntire were also nominated in the category.
Photos and Live Blog after the JUMP…
- Janet Jackson opens the show. She performs a medley of her hits–“Control”, “What Have You Done For Me Lately”, “Miss You Much”, “If”, “Make Me Move” Paula Abdul choreographed those early videos. She’s hangin’ in there, more or less. Lip syncing, of course.
- Paula Abdul is handing out the first award. Favorite Pop/Rock Band, Duo or Group goes to Black Eyed Peas. Sorry Kings of Leon and Nickleback!
- Favorite country band duo or Group, goes to Rascal Flatts
- Pete Wentz introduces Daughtry. The band sings “Life After You”. Chris Daughtry is NOT lip Syncing.
- Shakira is next. “Give it Up to Me” Female dancers in black leotards, and fierce drummers. Shakira shakes it! Adam Lambert is shaking it too.
- Julie Bowen and Sofia Vergara from Modern Family introduce Keith Urban who wants to “Kiss a Girl”. Keith Urban is so HOT.
- Reba McEntire introduces the super fabulous KELLY CLARKSON! “Already Gone”. OMG. Chills people. Kelly is beyond awesome. Standing O for Kelly, I see Adam with a big smile on his face.
- Snoop Dogg and Joe Perry present Favorite Pop Rock Female Artist, Why wasn’t Kelly Clarkson nominated? Totally crap. Taylor Swift wins. Wait, I thought she was country? *eyes roll* She beats out Lady Gaga and Beyonce. She makes her thankyou speech from London. Lady Gaga should have won. Boo.
- F*cking A-rod introduces Jay-Z and Alicia Keys (after he gloats about Yankee’s World Series win) Alicia at the piano, singing a classy “New York New York” rolls into Jay- Z rapping. That’s “Empire State of Mind”. It’s all about NYC peeps!
- Christian Slater presents Favorite Alternative Rock Artist, and it goes to Green Day. Super short speech from Billy Joe Armstong. It didn’t make much sense. The losers were Kings of Leon and Shinedown.
- Nicole Kidman and Kate Hudson introduce The Black Eyed Peas, who get a little video package intro. They all enter the stage on lifts to sing “Meet Me Halfway”. Fergie has a black frilled camisole with textured stockings and thigh high boots. Fergie is hot and she can sing. OMG it’s “Boom Boom Pow”, complete with skeery robot dancers. Adam is getting a ton of face time. The performance is pretty hot.
- Selena Gomez and Orianthi present the Favorite Soul R&B Male Artist. Michael Jackson wins, of course. Jermain Jackson accepts the award. It’s MJ’s 22nd AMA. Jermain’s wearing a glove. He brought his kids up on stage, inexplicably.
- Zac Brown band presents Favorite Country Male Artist, and it goes to Keith Urban. Whoo hoo! Too bad Darius Rucker and Jason Aldean. Keith is way hotter.
- Kris Allen and Demi Lovato present the Favorite R&B Female Artist, it goes to Beyonce. Except she’s not in the house. And that script Kris had to read was lame.
- Rihanna performs “Russian Roulette” She’s lashed to this wacky torture device. Her slave dancers free her. She’s wearing what looks like candy striped PJs.
- Rascal Flatts introduces Carrie Underwood singing “Cowboy Casanova”. She’s wearing short gold boots and a shiny black and gold hot pants outfit. Pretty much a redux from the CMA’s. The outfit is even more risque. Adam claps for Carrie!
- Lady Gaga takes the stage! “Bad Romance”. OMG her headress is wild. She’s lit up like a Christmas tree. Pretty awesome. She’s busting sh*t up with her microphone, to get into a cube where her piano is. And it’s on fire. “Speechless” She’s crazy! But in a really good way.
- Perez Hilton is backstage. He says Adam Lambert gave him makeup tips. After, he makes a Derek Hough gay joke. Yeesh.
- Mary J. Blige takes the stage to sing “I Am”. She stays on pitch! Ha ha. Actually she’s killing it, and she looks fab in a short do and a little one shoulder dress.
- Colbie Callait presents the T Mobile Breakthrough award. Voting just closed. The award goes to Gloriana. Lady Gaga, shut down again, by some country band nobody has heard of.
- Jennifer Lopez takes the stage (Nappytabs choreographed) to sing her new single, “Louboutins” Boxing theme. Male dancers in shiny boxer shorts. J.Lo has a lace one-shoulder short short set. She does a quick change into a short gold sparkly dress with a hippy skirt. I don’t understand the name of the song. Don’t get it! Ha Ha. J. Lo fell on her ass. Good stuff! (Loubitons are klazzy shoes all the female celebs are wearing these days)
- Samuel L. Jackson introduces Whitney Houston, she sings “Didn’t Know My Own Strength”. Wow. She’s lost so much. She’s half the singer she used to be, but at least she’s still standing. She’s got the gospel choir going behind her. She stops for applause. Finished singing, Whitney is awarded the International Artist Award. She thanks God, Clive and her family. Not necessarily in that order.
- Carrie Ann Inaba and Leona Lewis present Favorite Country Female Artist, it goes to Taylor Swift. Carrie Underwood, scorned again. Taylor, satelliting in from London, thanks her fans.
- Melissa Ethridge presents Favorite Male Pop Male Artist and it goes to Michael Jackson. Jermain thanks Allah, Dick Clark and his entire family, whom he name checks. It’s MJ’s 23rd AMA. He just broke a record.
- Alicia Keys takes the stage again to sing “The Element of Love”. Alicia’s not sitting at the piano for this performance, she’s got dancers, and she works the stage. Ok, I’m digging this. She finishes, at the piano on top of a huge revolving stage.
- Seth Green introduces Eminem and 50 Cent, “Crack a Bottle” So much bleeping. Dr. Dre takes the stage. More bleeping. So much bleeping, what’s the point? I mean, I’m not offended by the bad language, it just seems stupid to perform a song that has to have the sh*t bleeped out of it.
- Timbaland performs his new single, the vampire-themed “Morning After” from Shock Value 2. A gothed out SoShy and Nelly Furtado take the stage with him.
- Dominic Monaghan and V’s Morena Baccarin introduce Green Day, who perform “21 Guns”. Billie Joe Armstrong gets political. But, would he do anything else? Me likey.
- Keri Hilson and Toni Braxton present Favorite Rap Hip Hop Artist, it goes to Jay Z
- Producer Ryan Seacrest presents Artist of the Year, and it goes to Taylor F*CKING Swift. She won 5 AMAs tonight
- HERE COMES ADAM LAMBERT. OMF*cking god. I have no words.