The American Idol 2019 Top 5 take the stage LIVE for your votes on Sunday (May 12). The singers will perform songs based on three themes–Elton John catalog, Bobby Bones Choice and Mother’s Day dedications. There are no guest stars this week, but with 15 performances, who has time for that!
Once again, Idol will air live across all time zones. Voting during the episode will determine which two singers to eliminate at the end of the show. Because judges Lionel Richie, Katy Perry and Luke Bryan are out of saves, it’s totally up to America which contestants to send home!
This week’s eliminations determine who will move on to next week’s (May 19) three hour finale. Here is how I rank the remaining contestants.
5. Laci Kaye Booth – Oh how the mighty have fallen! Laci was No. 2 on last week’s power list. But after a night of relatively weak performances last week, Laci was eliminated by voters. She’s back, after the judges used their one save on her. After her near-elimination last week, Laci sits at the bottom of this week’s power list. To make up ground this week, she’s going to have to nail all three of her performances. And that still may not be enough.
4. Wade Costa – Wade sails through no matter what, week after week. He obviously has fans that begin voting at the top of the show before he even sings. It didn’t hurt that he performed his personal best last week. If his momentum continues, he could sneak into the finale.
3. Madison VanDenburg – A Madison-Alejandro-Laine finale seems reasonable to me. The likeable 16 year old has the power pipes that voters just love, even if her interpretations are a little green. Last week, Madison was not a convincing Janis Joplin type performer on her Woodstock number (Piece of My Heart), but then she came out swinging with a Celine Dion cover (I Surrender) on her second. If she sticks to big coronation type numbers, she’ll waltz right into the finale.
2. Alejandro Aranda – Alejandro struggles with covers. He has admitted as much on his Instagram video chats with fans. Lucky for the musician, the producers supported him performing an original last week, and reportedly this week as well. Another stunning Alejandro original could cement his place in the finale.
1. Laine Hardy – I still think the competition is Laine’s to lose. Not only is he a talented and charismatic performer. But he’s strategic as heck. The 50/60’s rocker aesthetic he’s bringing to the competition bums out fans who love the swampy blues from his Youtube videos. But what he’s doing is working so far. Why change course now?
The American Idol 2019 Top 5 perform on Sunday May 12 8 pm ET/5 pm PT on ABC.
American Idol 2019 Favorite Top 5 Contestant
- Laine Hardy 39.53%
- Alejandro Aranda 25.03%
- Laci Kaye Booth 14.75%
- Madison Vandenburg 13.75%
- Wade Cota 6.94%
American Idol Top 6 Favorite Performance
- Laine Hardy – Johnny B. Goode 25.67%
- Alejandro Aranda – Poison 21.41%
- Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon – Somewhere 12.41%
- Madison VanDenburg – I Surrender 9.49%
- Wade Cota – Through the Valley 6.08%
- Alejandro Aranda – White Rabbit 5.11%
- Wade Cota – With a Little Help from My Friends 4.99%
- Jeremiah Lloyd Harmon – Swing Low, Sweet Chariot 4.5%
- Laine Hardy – I Don’t Need No Doctor 4.5%
- Laci Kaye Booth – Open Arms 2.55%
- Laci Kaye Booth – To Love Somebody 2.07%
- Madison VanDenburg – Piece of My Heart 1.22%
American Idol 2019 Top 6 – Grade the Episode
- B 39.78%
- A 26.46%
- C 20.99%
- F 6.75%
- D 6.02%