American Idol 2016 Semifinal Schedule
The Futon Critic has listed the FOX American Idol schedule through most of the semi-final rounds, along with descriptive press releases. It’s a little confusing, but I think I have figured out how things are going to roll for the three weeks of the semi finals.The Top 24 will be split up into two groups of 12, with one group performing on Wednesday February 10 and the second group on Wednesday February 17. Both episodes are 1 hour long. There are two Idol tapings scheduled for February 2 and February 11. It’s probably a good guess the tapings are Top 12 performance shows. Stuffing 12 singers into an hour means it will HAVE to be taped ahead of time. Also (tiny spoiler) a rumored gender imbalance means the singers will be split randomly between two groups.
The JUDGES will be VOTING on Thursday February 11 and Thursday February 18, sending FIVE contestants home on that episode. Additionally, on the 11th and 18th, according to the FOX press releases, “Favorite former IDOLS will return to mentor and sing with the contestants.” It’s unclear whether the Thursday shows will be live or not.
A Top 14 will be revealed on Thursday February 18. There is no information about Wednesday February 24 and Thursday February 25. BOTH EPISODES ARE TWO HOURS LONG. An earlier press release stated the Top 10 will be announced and perform on February 25. I’m assuming the Top 14 will perform on February 24. It’s not clear whether fans or the judges will choose the Top 10. Hopefully viewer voting begins sooner rather than later.
UPDATE: @idolspoilers reported via twitter that the Wednesday February 24 episode has been cut back to 1 hour. During that broadcast, the judges will advance most of the Top 10 from the Top 14. Voting begins with Wildcard performances from the eliminated Top 14. The Top 10 Wildcard picks will be revealed on Thursday February 25. The Top 10 will also perform for viewer votes. No confirmation yet on how many contestants will be eliminated the following Thursday, but two a week would work.
UPDATE: FOX Officially announces the wildcard twist via press release. On Wednesday February 24, The judges will announce the first eight semi-finalists to make it into the Top 10, leaving six to sing for America’s vote and the final two spots in the Top 10. Thursday February 25 will be the FIRST LIVE SHOW of the season. Host Ryan Seacrest will reveal America’s Vote and announce the final two semi-finalists joining the Top 10. The Top 10 finalists will perform for America’s vote.
If this spoiler is true, viewers and judges have switched places. Typically viewers vote in the majority of the finalists while the judges choose 2 0r 3 wildcards. The producers are really really really looking to control the outcome of the very last American Idol season ever, it seems. Really disappointed that last vote isn’t left up to the viewers. Producers need to consider that HAVING A STAKE in the outcome is what keeps viewers invested!
Check out the FULL AMERICAN IDOL 15 schedule HERE. I’ll cut and paste the semi-final round section below:
- Wednesday February 10 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) – Semi-Final Round – Twelve of the Top 24 perform
- Thursday February 11 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) – Semi-Final Round – “Fan Favorite” Idols return to mentor and sing with the Top 24. The judges vote on who will stay in the competition. FIVE contestants leave the competition.
- Wednesday February 17 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) – Semi-Final Round – Twelve of the Top 24 perform
- Thursday February 18 – (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) – Semi-Final Round – “Fan Favorite” Idols return to mentor and sing with the Top 24. The judges vote on who will stay in the competition. FIVE contestants leave the competition. The Top 14 are revealed.
- Wednesday February 24
(8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT)(8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) – Semi-Final Round – “Fan Favorite” Idols return to mentor and sing with the Top 14Judges choose EIGHT of the Top 10. Remaining six contestants perform in a wildcard for the FIRST viewer vote of the season.
- Thursday February 25 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) – TWO Wildcard choices revealed FIRST LIVE SHOW OF THE SEASON Top 10 perform for the first time. Viewers vote. Results revealed the following Thursday.