2nd Update: Glee loses Outstanding Comedy Series to Modern Family, which also won Outstanding Supporting Actor and Outstanding Writing. Glee won Outstanding Supporting Actress for the sublime Jane Lynch and Outstanding Direction for creator Ryan Murphy.
Comedy Actor and Actress went to Jim Parsons for Big Bang Theory and Edie Falco for Nurse Jackie. Temple Grandin cleaned up in the Mini-Series and Movie categories. Outstanding Drama was split up between a few series, but Mad Men won Outstanding Drama Series.
UPDATE: Top Chef wins Outstanding Competition Reality Show. American Idol–shut out again! At least it wasn’t Amazing Race AGAIN. The reality show montage included clips of the Simon Cowell tribute from the finale, and Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox waiting to hear their fate.
American Idol was completely shut out of the Emmys this year. Even DWTS won a makeup award, and SYTYCD choreography. But, It’s not as if Idol deserved any awards for this year’s less than stellar season…
The Prime Time Emmys air tonight, beginning at 5pt/8et on NBC with Jimmy Fallon as host.
The technical, and a few of the major awards were given out at last Saturday’s Creative Emmy Awards.
American Idol was shut out of all the awards they were up for, including Outstanding Host for a Reality or Reality-Competition Program. (Jeff Probst once again shut out Ryan Seacrest). However, there’s still the Outstanding Reality-Competition show award to give out tonight. We’ll see if American Idol finally beats Amazing Race…but I kinda doubt it.
The big news tonight will be if Glee cleans up in the comedy categories it’s nominated in, including Outstanding Comedy Series. 30 Rock has cleaned up the last 3 years, but in 2010, Glee and Modern Family may snatch away the prize. Matthew Morrison, Lea Michele, Chris Colfer and Jane Lynch are all up for acting awards.
BONUS: Red Carpet Photos and Opening Number, after the JUMP…
Watch my live blog, after the jump…
Opening Number – Jimmy Fallon, The Glee Kids, Betty White, Kate Gosselin, Joel McHale, Tina Fey and more. Plus a special cameo from Randy Jackson!
- OMG This opening number included Jimmy Fallon, the Glee kids, Betty White, Tina Fey, Slushies, and a bunch of peeps singing Bruce Springsteen’s “Born to Run”. It’s pretty awesome. OMG! It’s Randy Jackson playing the Clarence Clemons part!
- John Hamm and Betty White present the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series to…Eric Stonestreet from Modern Family. Damn I was totally Team Chris Colfer.
- Sophia Vergara presents the Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series to Chris Levitan and Christopher Lloyd for Modern Family
- Stephen Colbert presents Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series to Jane Lynch for Glee. She thanks her wife Laura and her little girl Hayden. Aw.
- Lauren Graham and Matthew Perry do a review of the winner of Best Guest Actress and Guest Actor in a Comedy series (was given out at the Creative Emmys) Betty White for SNL and Neil Patrick Harris for Glee. They present Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series to Ryan Murphy for Glee.
- Skit with Modern Family actors tossing around un-PC ideas for the show is pretty funny. Writing so far has been humorous and non-cheesy.
- Eva Longoria and LL Cool J present Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy series to Jim Parsons from The Big Bang Theory.
- Neil Patrick Harris calls Jimmy Fallon gay, then presents Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series to Edie Falco for Nurse Jackie
- Will Arnett and Kerri Russell present the Outstanding Reality Competition program to Top Chef. The reality show montage included clips of the Simon Cowell tribute from the finale, and Lee DeWyze and Crystal Bowersox waiting to hear their fate.
- Mariska Hargitay and Christopher Meloni pimp Stand Up to Cancer, before they present Outstanding Writing for a Drama t0 Matthew Weiner and for Erin Levy for Mad Men.
- They present Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series to Aaron Paul for Breaking Bad.
- Emily Deschanel presents Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series to Archie Penjabi for The Good Wife
- Edie Falco presents Outstanding Actor in a Drama Series to Bryan Cranston for Breaking Bad. It’s his 3rd consecutive Emmy win.
- Nominees for Guest Actress and Guest Actor in a Drama Series were presented last week at the Creative Emmy awards and were won by John Lithgoe and Ann Margaret who take the stage to present Outstanding Directing for a Drama Series to Steve Shill for Dexter.
- Jimmy Fallon doing Elton John, ? and Billie Joe Armstrong, sings ” a tribute to 24, Law & Order and Lost. That was mildly amusing!
- Tina Fey and Matthew Morrison present Outstanding Actress in a Drama Series to Kyra Sedgwick for the Closer. Her husband, Kevin Bacon looks really happy!
- Joel McHale and Jeff Probst present Outstanding Writing for Variety, Music or Comedy Special to the 63rd Annual Tony Awards.
- Ricky Gervais is F*CKING HILARIOUS. That is all. He presents Outstanding Directing for a Variety, Music or Comedy Series to Bucky Gunts for the Vancouver Winter Olympics and Outstanding Variety Music or Comedy Series to the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
- Julianna Margulies presents the Bob Hope Humanitarian Award to George Clooney for his work on various television telethons, including Hope for Haiti. Clooney is the 4th recipient of the award. The crowd is standing for him. Bob and Delores Hope were friends of his Aunt Rosemary Clooney.
- John Krasinski and January Jones present Outstanding Actress in a Mini-Series or Movie to Julia Ormond for Temple Grandin. She thanks all of her fellow nominees. Pretty classy.
- Claire Danes takes the stage to present Outstanding Actor in a Mini-Series or Movie to David Strathairn for Temple Gradin.
- Jewel takes the stage to sing “Shape of You” a song she dedicates to a friend who passed away from cancer. It’s the backdrop for the “In Memorium” tribute.
- Blair Underwood and Maura Tierney present Outstanding Writing for a Mini-Series or Movie to Adam Mazur for You Don’t Know Jack. Tierney, recovering from breast cancer, looks great in a chic short do…
- Outstanding Lead Actress in a Mini-Series or Movie goes to Claire Danes for Temple Grandin.
- Anna Paquin and other True Blood actors present Outstanding Direction for a Mini-Series or Movie to Mick Jackson for Temple Grandin.
- Outstanding Lead Actor in a Mini-Series or Movie goes to Al Pacino for You Don’t Know Jack. His acceptance speech goes on and on and on…
- Lawrence Fishburne presents Outstanding Mini-Series to The Pacific. Producer, Tom Hanks, accepts the award. Outstanding Made for Television Movie goes to Temple Grandin. Temple Grandin herself is also on the stage. She hugs the producer.
- Tom Selleck presents Outstanding Drama Series to Mad Men.
- Ted Danson presents Outstanding Comedy Series to Modern Family