This week, the kids choose a song from the year of their birth. It’s a theme that gets tapped nearly every year and at this point, TPTB might as well subtitle it “OMG the 80’s Rawk!”.
Yeah, it’s fabulous 80’s tunes for everyone, except young Allison.
I made my picks from Billboard Hot 100 lists for each year. Hear ya go:
- Adam Lambert – 1982 – “Only the Lonely” by the Motels – If Adam picks a ballad this week, I think this one is it. It’s a classic song that Adam can sing without sounding dated. – VIDEO
- Allison Iraheta – 1992 – Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana – Allison, sitting on a stool, singing this song Tori Amos style? That could be a moment.- VIDEO
- Anoop Desai – 1986 – “Holding Back the Years” by Simply Red – Anoop could impress the judges and viewers, wraping his smooth vocals around this unusual choice. – VIDEO
- Danny Gokey – 1980 – “The Rose” by Bette Midler – Big ballad? Check. Sappy lyrics? Check. Danny could get the crowd going with this one. – VIDEO
- Kris Allen – 1985 – “The Power of Love” by Huey Lewis – It’s upbeat and soulful, and if Kris re-arranges it just right, he could have a crowd pleaser. – VIDEO
- Lil Rounds – 1984 – “What’s Love Got to Do With It” by Tina Turner -Kind of an obvious choice, but I think Lil could pull it off. – VIDEO
- Matt Giraud – 1985 – “Every Time You Go Away” by Paul Young – Sitting behind the piano, Matt could have a total moment with this song. Check out the Hall and Oats version (Hall wrote it). – VIDEO
- Scott MacIntyre – 1985 – “Can’t Fight this Feeling Anymore” by REO Speedwagon – There’s lots of cheesy easy rock for Scott to pick from, but this popular power ballad could impress the judges if he did it semi-acoustic. – VIDEO
Those are my picks. What do think the Idols should sing?