According to several reports, Howard Stern is leaving America’s Got Talent at the end of this season. He announced the decision on his Siriusxm Satellite show this morning.
On the show this morning, @HowardStern pretty much definitively said he’s not going to do AGT next year. Has another TV opportunity.
— Jeff Jarvis (@jeffjarvis) June 24, 2015
Howard took a seat at the AGT table in 2012 after Piers Morgan left. The radio host has made noise about leaving before, but those who listened to his radio show this morning say he’s serious. NBC wanted a decision from Howard by July 4th so they could make decisions about booking venues. AGT had moved the live shows to Radio City Music Hall expressly to accommodate Howard’s radio schedule. If Howard leaves the show, producers plan to move the live episodes back to Los Angeles. They need the lead time to book new venues.
Also this morning, Howard made the suggestion that AGT creator and executive producer, Simon Cowell, take his place on the panel. To be honest, I fully expect that to happen. I think Simon would love to be back on TV in America, and not just because he suggested the idea to Sony executives last year.
When Youtube video of Howard’s announcement hits the web, I’ll post it here. UPDATE: Here it is. The AGT discussion begins at 20:54:
Howard says he’s “Too f*cking busy.” He began to say “I think I’m leaving…” then amended it to “I KNOW I’m leaving.” He loves the folks at NBC. He had to tell them by July 4 “I don’t’ want to hang them up.”
Also, he’s been made a TV opportunity that “excites” him. “Simon Cowell wants it anyway…despite all the apologies, I know what’s going on behind the scenes…I have friends at Sony,” Howard added, “He’ll be good at it.”