We are watching the first Eurovision 2016 semifinal. Join us!
A year ago Måns Zelmerlöw won the Eurovision Song Contest for his homeland Sweden, so this year the contest moved to Sweden’s capital, Stockholm. Also, Måns Zelmerlöw is hosting this year’s event with Petra Mede.
18 countries will compete for 10 open places in the Grand Final tonight. You can find the list below. I will add the videos of all the performances once they are available on Eurovision’s YouTube channel.
Here is the explanation of the voting process from Eurovision’s official website:
18 Songs: 21 Televoting countries
Eighteen songs will participate in the first Semi-Final, and professional juries in each of the participating countries, as well as in Sweden, France and Spain, voted on yesterday’s dress rehearsal. They accounted for 50% of the overall total.
Tonight the remaining 50% of the votes will be decided by the public televote in the same 21 countries. These votes will be added to those of the juries to determine the ten countries that will qualify for the Grand Final on Saturday the 14th of May.
The semifinal starts at 9pm CEST, 3pm EDT, 12pm PDT
You can watch the event through your local EBU member European broadcaster, LOGO TV in the USA or SBS in Australia. Beware of the local commentary, though! You can also watch the live stream on the official Eurovision website or on YouTube (click the links above).
Måns Zelmerlow – Heroes (Opening act at Semi-Final 1 of the 2016 Eurovision Song Contest)
- Finland: Sing It Away sung by Sandhja
- Greece: Utopian Land sung by Argo
- Moldova: Falling Stars sung by Lidia Isac
- Hungary: Pioneer sung by Freddie
- Croatia: Lighthouse sung by Nina Kraljic
- Netherlands: Slow Down sung by Douwe Bob
- Armenia: LoveWave sung by Iveta Mukuchyan
- San Marino: I Didn’t Know sung by Serhat
- Russia: You Are The Only One sung by Sergey Lazarev
- Czech Republic: I Stand sung by Gabriela Guncíková
- Cyprus: Alter Ego sung by Minus One
- Austria: Loin d’ici sung by ZOË
- Estonia: Play sung by Jüri Pootsmann
- Azerbaijan: Miracle sung by Samra
- Montenegro: The Real Thing sung by Highway
- Iceland: Hear Them Calling sung by Greta Salóme
- Bosnia & Herzegovina: Ljubav Je sung by Dalal, Deen, Ana & Jala
- Malta: Walk on Water sung by Ira Losco
The Results – 10 countries moving on to Saturday’s final are:
The 10 qualifiers of Semi-Final 1 get announced
Frans – If I Were Sorry (Sweden) Live at Semi – Final 1
Barei – SayYay! (Spain) Live at Semi – Final 1
Amir – J’ai Cherché (France) Live at Semi – Final 1
Artists of the first Semi-Final react right after performing.