The final BC coroner’s report on the death of Cory Monteith, was released today and provides more detail on the 31 year old Glee star’s tragic end on July 13.
According to the report, Cory died of combined heroin and alcohol toxicity caused by intravenous heroin use in combination with ingestion of alcohol.
Cory was found unresponsive at around 12 noon at the Pacific Rim Hotel in Vancouver. Hotel personnel called Emergency Health services when he failed to check out on time. There was no attempt to resuscitate because he was clearly deceased. Found in a collapsed position on the floor, it was determined Cory had been dead a couple of hours. There was no trauma, injury or evidence of foul play.
Drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a hypodermic needle were found at the scene. There were also two champagne bottles and multiple glasses found in the room.
Toxicological analysis revealed an alcohol level of 0.13 percent, consistent with a moderate level of intoxication. Toxicology also detected the presence of morphine, codeine and 6-monoacetyl morphine (an unambiguous metabolite of heroin, according to the report)
The report makes note that individuals build up a tolerance to opioids like heroin over time, but after a period without the drug, a previously tolerated drug concentrated level may become “toxic and fatal.”
Basically, Cory went back to using drugs the way he did before rehab, but his body couldn’t tolerate it. It’s likely that Cory didn’t mean to die. He relapsed, like many recovering addicts do. If fate had taken a different turn, he could have gotten clean again and stayed that way. But instead, he didn’t survive what was a tragic, tragic accidental overdose. RIP Cory.
Glee will say goodbye to Finn Hudson, the character Cory played on the show, in next Thursday’s episode, airing on FOX, titled “The Quarterback.” Have your tissues ready.