Ahead of his appearance on America’s Got Talent first live show on Tuesday (August 9), BBR records announces Drake Milligan’s debut album. A record label leveraging a TV talent competition to promote a singer’s work is unprecedented. Historically, artists use talent shows hoping to eventually land a record deal. Will this type of promotion become a regular thing on AGT?
The former American Idol contestant will drop his debut album, Dallas/Fort Worth through BBR’s Stoney Creek Records imprint. The record is set for release on September 15 and named after the young Texan’s hometown. Notably, BBR records is American Idol’s recording partner. Winners Chayce Beckham and Noah Thompson are signed to the label. Idol and AGT share the same producer, Fremantle Media.
Dallas/Fort Worth features 14 tracks
Featuring 14 tracks produced by Tony Brown (George Strait, Reba McEntire) and songwriter/producer Brandon Hood, Drake “uncorks exuberant themes of trouble-making fun, young romance, life-sustaining love and more,” according to a press release.
“As a lifelong Country music fan, it has been my dream make a full-length record that pays homage to traditional Country roots, while still bringing new sounds and energy to the genre,” says Drake.
“As a native son of the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I’ve always been intrigued by the difference between the two cities. First there’s Dallas: a city determined to prove that everything really is bigger in Texas. Then, just 30 miles to the west, there’s Fort Worth: a city that holds true to its Stockyard roots with a taut rope around its cowboy brand,” Drake’s statement continues, “My goal was to bring those same distinctions to the two parts of this album. On Dallas, the songs have a little more polish on their boots. On Fort Worth, there are nods to those traditional Honky-Tonkin’, Western swingin’, cowboy culture roots that I’m based in.”
Dallas/Fort Worth is available to pre-save HERE.
Dallas/Fort Worth Tracklist:
1. “Sounds Like Something I’d Do” (Drake Milligan/Brett Beavers/Terry McBride)
2. “Kiss Goodbye All Night” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/ Josh Jenkins/Phil O’Donnell)
3. “Hating Everything She Tries On” (Drake Milligan/Brent Anderson/Lynn Hutton)
4. “She” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/John Pierce)
5. “Bad Day To Be A Beer” (Drake Milligan/Marv Green/JT Harding)
6. “Hearts Don’t Break Even” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/Liz Rose)
7. “Dance Of A Lifetime” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/Phil O’Donnell)
1. “Over Drinkin’ Under Thinkin’” (Drake Milligan/Brice Long/Brett Beavers)
2. “Tipping Point” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/Terry McBride/Josh London)
3. “Don’t Look Down” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/John Pierce)
4. “Goin’ Down Swingin’” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/Phil O’Donnell
5. “Save It For A Sunny Day” (Drake Milligan/Marv Green/Tim Nichols)
6. “Long Haul” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/Bob DiPIero
7. “Cowboy Kind Of Way” (Drake Milligan/Brandon Hood/Terry McBride)
Which of the 14 tracks will Drake premiere on Tuesday’s America’s Got Talent?
Drake hits the road in September and October
Drake’s full-length debut follows his Tony Brown/Brandon Hood-produced 2021 self-titled EP. Landing at Number One on the iTunes Country Album chart, the project also featured the Number One iTunes Country Single “Sounds Like Something I’d Do” – which in turn spawned a music video which topped the iTunes Video chart.
Meanwhile, Drake has been out on the road, finishing a run in Southern California. Back in June, the country singer auditioned for America’s Got Talent, performing the rowdy “Sounds Like Something I’d Do” to a standing ovation from show creator Simon Cowell and his fellow judges Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum and Sofia Vergara.
After his August 9 appearance on the AGT Qualifiers, Drake will return to the road, with new headline shows and festival dates scheduled during September and October.
Eleven acts will compete on August 9, including Drake. But only two will advance to the September 13 and 14 finale. But if Drake is cut, he got what he wanted from AGT, publicity for his new album. And if he appears on the finale? His album comes out the next day!