The America’s Got Talent new format for season 17 didn’t give viewers much of a chance to become familiar with contestants. So far, the acts have performed twice. Fifty five act in the semi-finals was a lot, and we could probably write up a post about who was robbed! The 11 acts advancing to the finals feels a bit random. While the two acts a week who advanced were chosen by America’s vote, at times, if felt as if judges comments and where the act performed in the lineup influenced the results.
It’s hard to feel attached to the outcome. I only voted once all season–for Celia Munoz to advance to the finals as the 11th contestant!
Four of the six Golden Buzzers advanced to the finals. Usually a Golden Buzzer wins, and that could very well be the case this season.
In any case, the rankings here are based on an act’s strength going into the finale. for instance, Celia is at No. 10, because she needed the wildcard to advance. But if she comes out with a strong performance, she could wind up in the Top 5. I took a peak at last season’s predictions, and NOBODY saw winner Dustin Tavella comng. Many predictions didn’t have him in the Top 5.
America’s Got Talent season 17 finale airs Tuesday September 13 and Wednesday, September 14. Terry Crews hosts. Howie Mandel, Heidi Klum, Sofia Vergara and Simon Cowell sit on the judges panel.
11. Yu Hojin – Magician – Yu is one of two magicians in the Top 11 and he’s by far the weakest of the two. It’s not even close. For some reason, the show pushed Yu, releasing his audition early, and then pimping his semi-final performance. But his magic is rudimentary.
10. Celia Munoz – Ventriloquist (Wildcard) – Celia’s highly original ventriloquism act was a hit of the auditions, but she came back in the semis with a weaker presentation. If she can match the surprise factor of her audition, she could end up in the Top 5. She needs a creative storyline that shows off all of her skills.
9. Mike E. Winfield – Comedian – There were funnier comedians who didn’t advance, including wildcard Jordan Conley and nerd comic Don McMillan. If he tells more stories about his large adult step-son? Eh. He needs some new material.
8. Chapel Hart – Country trio – Group buzzer – Chapel Hart would be ranked higher if there weren’t already so many singing acts in the finale! Also, they are the weakest of all the Golden Buzzers. The country trio are terrific entertainers. But how far they get will depend on the original song they choose to sing. Still, I have a feeling the judges will throw them under the bus, regardless.
7. Nicolas RIBS – Magician – The other magician, Nicolas RIBS has a creative act that would fit right into a Las Vegas show. His unique brand of magic is refreshing. Regardless of how he ends up, Simon might invite him to perform in the AGT residency at the Luxor anyway. Or, he should.
6. Sara James – Teen singer – Simon buzzer – At only 14, this Polish singer has a mature and compelling sound. Simon is going to do everything he can to get her into the Top 5 at least. But she’s got stiff competition.
5. Avery Dixon – Saxophonist – Terry buzzer – Avery is a talented musician, but he’s also really likeable. Born premature, Avery was consequently bullied and suicidal. He’s got AGT audiences rooting for him.
4. Kristy Sellars – Multimedia pole dancer – A pole dancer in the Top 5? This pole dancer yes! Kristy would be a pretty great dancer without the multimedia show. But her grace and athleticism, combined with creative storytelling and visuals makes her a serious contender this season.
3. Drake Milligan – Country singer-songwriter – This country musician and singer-songwriter brings his band to entertain on the AGT stage. He’s a solid songwriter and entertaining as heck–not to mention easy on the eyes. Drake will make the Top 5 at least. He and his record label BBR/Stoney Creek are using AGT to promote his upcoming album, coming out the week of the finale. Will he at least mention the album on the show? Or will he continue to pretend he’s not already a professional singer?
2. Metaphysic – Deepfake tech – Metaphysic is ranked two, but they could win the whole show. AGT fans are eating up the company’s “deep fake” demonstrations, which use actual singers combined with their special tech to make it seem as if Simon and the judges are performing. The principals promise to bring a famous rock group, and include Heidi and Sofia in the act. If they pull off a spectacular and hilarious performance, they could win it all. Thing is, while the bit is kind of a parlor trick, it’s also like magic and the kind of thing that could work on a Vegas stage.
1. Mayyas – Dance group – Sofia buzzer – Mayyas are an incredibly mesmerising and artistic dance group from Lebanon. Their message of elevating women’s lives in the Arab world is appealing. But they are also one of the most interesting and unique acts to compete on AGT.