Nick Fradiani released his new record titled Past My Past today (Nov 25). It’s the American Idol season 15 winner’s first full length album since his debut solo release in 2016.
Nick explains in a press statement that the making of the album was a long time coming, and while the songwriting and recording process was smooth sailing, starting the project was difficult.
“I realized that music was a part of me that I could never just walk away from”
“The ups and downs of my career really took its toll on me, and at one point after American Idol I contemplated whether or not I wanted to continue with music,” the singer said. I just got in my own head about so many things, and it was a serious internal struggle. I just felt like I was stuck in quicksand, and didn’t know how to pull myself out of it.” Nick continued, “But after taking some time away from the road and the studio, I realized that music was a part of me that I could never just walk away from. This is what I do and will always do. I think I needed to hit that low point and find my way out of it to begin this album, and to grow as an artist and as a man.”
The singer hopes to be an inspiration for others, “I wasn’t going to let my past define my current situation, and I hope listeners going through similar feelings can let go of things in their past that may be holding them back.”
Nick worked with writer and producer Nick Abraham for a majority of the album, who many remember as the guitar player of Fradiani’s band Beach Avenue. The singer also co-wrote with Connecticut native Eric Donnelly of The Alternate Routes on 3 songs, Tyler Smith (Dumlords) cowrote and produced “Joyride,” and Tim Warren of The Alternate Routes co-wrote and sang vocals on “Your Eyes.”
Past My Past Tracklist
- Past My Past (Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- What I Tell Myself (Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- Never Gonna (Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- EMPIRE (Eric Donnelly) Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- If I Were Smart (Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- JoyRide (Nicholas Fradiani, Tyler Lindsay Smith)
- Back to Life (Eric Donnelly, Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- Must Be Another Way (Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- Don’t You Remember? (Eric Donnelly, Nicholas Fradiani)
- Outlaws 2022 (Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- Your Eyes (ft the Alternate Routes) (Eric Donnelly, Nicholas Fradiani, Tim Warren)
- Even the Angels (Eric Donnelly, Nicholas Abraham, Nicholas Fradiani)
- Falling Asleep Ain’t Easy (Nicholas Fradiani, Eric Donnelly)
- Must Be Another Way (Acoustic)
- Never Gonna (Acoustic)
All songs but two were recorded at Dexters Lab Recording Studios in Miiford, CT with Nick Bellmore, who mixed and engineered 8 of the 10 songs. “I kept my circle small for this album, and I think that’s why it was so much fun to make. I always enjoyed the communal part of making a record, so doing it with my friends made it that much more special,” said Nick.
About his first single from the album, “If I Were Smart,” Nick says, “The first line of the song was actually said to me by someone from my past. Lyrically I wrote this song from the perspective of someone that I had hurt, so I had to be really honest with myself about a certain situation that was difficult to look back on.”
Nick recently made his Broadway debut in A Beautiful Noise: The Neil Diamond musical, staring as Neil Diamond every Wednesday night at the Broadhurst Theater in NYC.