American Idol 2018 runner-up Caleb Lee Hutchinson has released his first post-show EP. The self-titled set includes six songs, including the opener “Good As You Think” co-written by Maren Morris.
The country singer impressed the judges during his American Idol season with his deep, resonate vocals. The songs are modern country, but with a traditional twist and surprisingly intense themes. On “Good as You Think I Am,” the singer worries about living up to a girlfriend’s expectations. “Steering Wheel Prayers” finds the protagonist literally clutching his steering wheel, praying to God to make it through another day. In the self-penned “Left of Me” the Caleb dwells on a past relationship, full of regrets.
How did Caleb hook up with a slew of country songwriters? Sugarland’s Kristian Bush produced the album. In this video clip, Bush explains how he and Caleb came together to make a record.
Bush explains that Caleb had never been in a recording studio outside of cutting singles for American Idol. “He came to my place in Atlanta and…we picked a bunch of songs that we loved. I introduced him to some of the best people I know, that I make records with all the time.”
“Some artists when you work with them,” says Bush, “You can tell something special when they’re under pressure. Instead of buckling or getting smaller, somehow they get taller. The things that they do become even more effortless.”
“Well y’all it’s finally here. Been waiting a while for y’all to hear these songs, and it’s finally happening!” writes Caleb on Twitter, “Thank you to everyone who helped make this happen, and thank y’all for your patience. More to come, love y’all so much!”
Check out the tracklist below. Listen to all six tracks on Youtube below.
1. Good As You Think by Ryan James Hurd, Andrew M Huff & Maren Larae Morris
2. Belle of the Bar by Adam Jacob Prius, Brinley Aaron Addington & Michael John Walker
3. Steering Wheel Prayers by Andrew Paul Albert, William Blake Bollinger & Connie Rae Harrington
4. Left of Me by Caleb Lee Hutchinson
5. If I Ever Will by Justin James Lantz, Sarah Allison Turner & Logan Ledger
6. Better Now by Adam Feeney, Austin Richard Post, Carl Austin Rosen, Kaan Gunesberk, Louis Russell Bell & William Thomas Walsh