This week, former American Idol finalists from all around the country will volunteer to help support Feeding America’s local food banks and Idol Gives Back, which airs Wednesday, April 21 (8:00-10:00 PM ET live/PT tape-delayed) on FOX. Alicia Keys, Carrie Underwood, The Black Eyed Peas, Annie Lennox and Jeff Beck are set to perform.
From the FOX press release:
“Being a part of IDOL was such a blessing, and I just want to give back in any way that I can. There are so many people here and across the world who are in need of help, and people can help by supporting IDOL GIVES BACK, ” said Season Five AMERICAN IDOL finalist Elliott Yamin, who traveled to Angola with IDOL judge Kara DioGuardi for IDOL GIVES BACK.
Feeding America, one of the IDOL GIVES BACK beneficiaries, is the nation’s leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Their mission is to feed America’s hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger. Each year, the Feeding America network provides food to more than 37 million low-income people facing hunger in the United States, including more than 14 million children and nearly 3 million seniors.
The former Idol finalists will be volunteering in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Salt Lake City, Nashville, Seattle, Houston, Birmingham and Tampa.
I wonder FOX will be on hand to film the Idols in action to broadcast on the IGB special? Some of the Idol volunteers are alums we haven’t heard much from lately…
Check out the schedule, after the JUMP…
TUESDAY, APRIL 13
- THE LOS ANGELES REGIONAL FOOD BANK, LOS ANGELES – Kimberley Locke, Didi Benami, David Hernandez, Amy Adams, Chikezie, Mikalah Gordon, Elliott Yamin, Kevin Covais, Michael Johns, LaToya London and Brandon Rogers will pack food in boxes for senior citizens and young children in need at the Los Angeles Regional Food Bank.
- UTAH FOOD BANK, SALT LAKE CITY – Megan Joy will assist a group of 30 volunteers who will sort through food-drive donations, divide them into categories and prepare food boxes.
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 14
- GREATER CHICAGO FOOD DEPOSITORY, CHICAGO – Gina Glocksen and Amanda Overmyer will join a group of volunteers to pack disaster relief boxes for Feeding America.
- SECOND HARVEST FOOD BANK OF MIDDLE TENNESSEE, NASHVILLE – Lacey Brown, Bucky Covington, Melinda Doolittle, Bo Bice, Phil Stacey and Mandisa will work with other volunteers to pack disaster-relief boxes for Feeding America.
- FOOD LIFELINE, SEATTLE – Blake Lewis will assist a group of volunteers in sorting and repacking products to be distributed to families in need.
THURSDAY, APRIL 15
- JAN HUS PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH, NEW YORK – Ace Young, Diana DeGarmo, Jorge Núñez, Julia DeMato and RJ Helton will lend a helping hand to hungry New Yorkers by delivering food with City Harvest.
- HOUSTON FOOD BANK, HOUSTON – LaKisha Jones will be working with a group of volunteers who will inspect donated food and prepare it to be re-distributed to 400 agencies.
- FEEDING AMERICA TAMPA BAY, TAMPA – Melissa McGhee will spread hope to people in need by working with a group of volunteers to sort and package food.
FRIDAY, APRIL 16
- UNITED WAY COMMUNITY FOOD, BIRMINGHAM – Ruben Studdard will label cans and pack boxes.
- THREE SQUARE, LAS VEGAS – Danny Gokey will assist a group of volunteers to sort through donated food that will be used to feed local families in need.