Scott Borchetta spills his thoughts on the American Idol Top 4! The bussing of Clark Beckham continues. It’s going to be a disaster if he wins, I think.
First, from the Taste of Country Blog:
- Nick Fradiani Could Go Country: “I think Nick has a chance to be in the country format,” Borchetta tells Taste of Country. “His voice is one of those voices that could work in pop or country. So there’s a chance that could happen.” Hm. Scott chose “Because the Night” by Bruce Springsteen as Nick’s pick.
- Clark Beckham: “Should he win, it’s going to be an interesting record to make because he has a little different idea of what will work in the mainstream. Clark and I have always had a very honest relationship since day one.The reason I challenged Clark is because he’s so talented. And I want to see him do better.” Scott says Clark’s weakness is “Song sense.” and “While he’s a great singer, he doesn’t have a great understanding of what a hit song is. He doesn’t run toward hits.” Also, he chose “Beautiful day” by U2 as his pick for Clark.
It was mentioned that Jax would perform “My Immortal” by Evanescence tonight. Poor Rayvon Owen didn’t even get a nod.
Said Scott: “In an artist’s world, you need to be black and white. If everybody tells you you’re great all the time, you become less great because you’re not challenged. All of my artists know that I’m going to call it like I see it, regardless of who they are.”
Scott’s Weekly Breakdown for American Idol:
- “Jax can absolutely use that confidence [from her hometown visit]. She’s gotten really good at getting into the “Jax” character for performance…but it’s got to be 24/7.”
- “I think the girls are going to be lined up around the block for Nick Fradiani. He is now delivering at a next level of energy, consistently. In these final moments of American Idol, can he elevate it and steal it?”
- “Clark Beckham was probably a very early front runner in this competition. He can do that bluesy thing, hit the high note and probably had a little bit of air competence, that I think is diminished now. I think he’s been stuck in 3rd gear for a few weeks now. His song choices have been flat. And the other three are coming like a freight train.
- “Rayvon Owen – America loves an underdog. And now he’s 5 for 5. One for the thumb! Bottom 2 again, there he is, singing with so much confidence! There’s no room for the sympathy vote now. There’s only room for the vote that you earn.