The Idols sang two Neil Diamond songs this week, but only recorded one. Here’s my take on this week recordings.
I’m listing the tunes in order of popularity, according to Rickey’s iTunes chart.
- David Cook – “I’m Alive” – I hear that the DC fans would love a recorded version of “All I Ever Really Need is You”. So would I. I wish it would have been recorded instead of “I’m Alive”. But such as it is, this version rocks as much as it can, driven by Cookie’s passionate delivery.
- Brooke White – “I Am…I Said” – Brooke’s live version of this song was moving and beautifully rendered. The recorded version isn’t as intimate as the live version, but it doesn’t disappoint.
- Jason Castro – “Forever in Blue Jeans” – I’d love a truly acoustic version of this song. The strings are a bit much, but Jason’s quirky, laid back vocals are perfect for the breezy material.
- David Archuleta – “Sweet Caroline” – I’m a little surprised that the rousing “America” wasn’t chosen as the studio recording. At this point, the overplayed original sounds karaoke. It’s tough to listen to knock-offs. Nevertheless, Archie does a nice job with the tired material.
- Syesha Mercado – “Hello Again” – The scrappy Syesha delivers a sweet and understated performance here. As long as she backs off the high notes, which she does for the most part here, she sounds great. The arrangement is heavy on the syrupy strings. I wish the arrangers would knock that off.