Some internet sources are reporting that this week’s theme is “iTunes Top 100”
Paula Abdul, called the theme “#1 Downloads” in an interview on Friday’s John Jay and Rich KISS radio show out of Phoenix. (Listen to her interview HERE.) “Wide open” is how she described it. I’ve got a media source who contacted Idol, and was told this week’s theme is “Top Downloads.”
So, here, we’re thinking the theme is much broader than just the current Top 100. “#1 Downloads” would include songs that have hit #1 on the digital charts at least since Billboard started keeping track in 2005.
Apple iTunes was introduced in 2001.
Kirsten, our chart maven, found a partial list of #1 songs from 2005-2008 right HERE. The R&B and Hip-hop rich list should provide plenty of picks for this soulful bunch.
Here’s what I think the Idols should sing:
- Adam Lambert – This is Adam’s opportunity to show America and the judges he can be a viable recording artist. I’m not going to suggest any songs–I’ll let Adam surprise me.
- Allison Iraheta – Pink, Beyonce, Fergie, Nelly Furtado would be good choices for Allison. She has to be careful not to sound karaoke. I think she’s up to it.
- Anoop Desai – Anoop needs to straddle the middle ground between his soulful croon, and getting back to working the stage a little bit. This might be the time for Anoop to break out some Ne-Yo–one of his favorites.
- Danny Gokey – If Danny doesn’t go the R&B route, “Photograph” by Nickelback might work. Danny and Chad Kroeger both have that raspy-voiced thing going on.
- Kris Allen – “Apologize” by One Republic or “You’re Beautiful” by James Blunt. An acoustic version of a hip-hop tune might be cool.
- Lil Rounds – I’m thinking Rihanna or Christiana Aguilera for Lil. Like Adam, this week is Lil’s opportunity to prove she can be current.
- Matt Giraud – We know Matt can be current, he just needs to get a hold of his nerves, and pick a song that allows him to stay behind the piano. I’ll suggest Maroon 5 or One Republic for Matt.
- Megan Corkrey – Megan can choose from the many different versions of “Umbrella” by Rihanna on You Tube.
- Scott MacIntyre – The piano ballad, “How To Save a Life” by the Fray, would be a good fit for Scott.
What do you think the Idols should sing?