THE BIG IDEA
Help American Idol winner, Phillip Phillips, VH1 Save the Music Foundation and DoSomething.org mobilize young people across the nation to create a crowd sourced music video. The campaign is called “Band Together” and will help spread awareness of the importance of music education in our schools.
WHY IT MATTERS
Music programs across the country have fallen victim to numerous budget cuts. Battle for the Bands encourages students to become informed, proactive arts advocates in their communities.
HOW IT WORKS
1. Video Challenge: Each week, teens are delivered an easy video challenge by Phillip Phillips on YouTube (make a sound like this, say these words, film this action, play a guitar chord)
2. Accept the Challenge: Teens can participate in the challenge by uploading a video of them performing the required action.
3. Grants: Each week’s winner will also help select a Save The Music school to receive a grant for materials to enhance their music programs (music books, stands, etc.)
4. Artist Video: The best user submitted videos will be mixed into a YouTube cover of Phillip Phillip’s latest single, “Gone, Gone, Gone”.
5. Distribution: The song will be featured on VH1, MTV and other channels, as well as pitched to national news sources to spread the word about teens that care about music education
6. Impact: The song will also be distributed to local school boards, along with an advocacy message, in school districts where music education programs are at risk
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
Visit DoSomething.org/band to view each week’s music challenge issued by Phillip Phillips and follow the instructions in the Youtube video.
Check out Phillp Phillip’s Video Message Including instructions, Below