- THR did a poll of 750 current and lapsed American Idol viewers. They break down the demos in that poll of who votes and who doesn’t.
- Voters: 61% female, 74% over 25 yo, 51% married, 34% Republican, 70% have attended at least some college, 46% listen to Top 40/pop, 33% South
- Non-voters: 55% male, 67% under 25 yo, 46% married, 21% Republican, 57% went to at least some college, 32% listen to some rap/hiphop, 28% West
- Only 21% could name the Season 9 winner, Lee DeWyze.
- Who determines show results? 82% hardcore fans say votes, 18% say show creators BUT 58% of voters say votes determine results while 42% say the it’s the show’s creators (hm).
- Authority to judge musical talent: Randy 86% yes 14% no, Jlo 73% yes, Ellen 71% yes, Simon 84% yes, Paula 75% yes, Steven 79% yes, Kara 58%
- Favorable Ratings: Randy 76%, Jennfier 75% , Ellen 71% (but most won’t miss her), Simon 66%, Paula 62%, Steven 56%, Kara 44% but more will miss her than Ellen
- THR reports that Jennifer Lopez’s negotiations were “miserable”. One of her reps tried to pull her out because X Factor wanted her. But she was the frontrunner for Idol since April.
- One auditioner says Jennifer IS what Kara DioGuardi was trying to be– professional, knowledgeable, but kind.
- The article raises concerns about Steven Tyler’s reliability, citing drug history and age. But says he’s fun. Randy Jackson is the same as ever.
Pretty interesting stuff. So the Jlo diva rumors may be true. I can see her peeps playing hardball. It wasn’t too long ago she was A list. Idol is a step down for her in lots of ways.
But I have a feeling Jennifer is going to be a fair, no-nonsense judge, while Steven Tyler brings the fun and the crazy.
Despite all the talk of Randy becoming more assertive–I’ll believe it when I see it…on the live shows. Not surprised that Jennifer is the alpha judge of the three.
So what do you think? Discuss!