Idol Headlines for 05/05/12

Despite ‘Voice’ challenge, ‘American Idol’ is still music show to beat – Despite mounting evidence that it had been eclipsed by “The Voice” in the network television sing-off sweepstakes earlier this year, “American Idol” remains the music show to beat. Though “Idol” is down from previous years with a particularly uninspiring final four, it still holds a significant lead over its chief competitor: Recent “Idol” shows have averaged about 17 million viewers while “The Voice” is falling short of 11 million, according to the Nielsen ratings. How has “Idol” been able to hold on to its dominant position despite early signs that “The Voice” was coming off as a fresher, younger and hipper alternative? – Read more at Chicago Tribune

CARRIE UNDERWOOD CONFIRMS FIRST TOUR OF AUSTRALIA – From London’s Royal Albert Hall on June 21 to Sydney’s Opera House on July 2 – the 14-million-album-selling, five-time Grammy-Award-winning, 14-US#1-hit-scoring dynamo – CARRIE UNDERWOOD will tour outside North America for the first time and include Australia, promoter Chugg Entertainment confirmed today. Chairman of Chugg Entertainment, Michael Chugg, said it was fitting Underwood would end her first Australian tour at another of the world’s most iconic venues, the Sydney Opera House. Sponsored by Olay, Underwood will play four intimate and exclusive concerts in Australia, including a special show in Tamworth. “The last concert we did in Tamworth was Keith [Urban],” said Chugg, “and we blew the lid off it. – Read more at Facebook

Carrie Underwood Returns With ‘Blown Away’ – Seven years removed from winning ‘American Idol,’ Carrie Underwood is now a country music mega-star. She talks about her new album and the character she presents to the world while keeping her private life private. (May 1)

Taylor Hicks on CMT Insider

American Idol’s Fantasia Barrino Exonerated of $15,000 Theft From Church – Fantasia Barrino, American Idol season 3 winner, and her manager Brian Dickens, were recently exonerated from accusations that they took $15,000 from Harvest Family Church and failed to honor a scheduled appearance at the place of worship. In March, Barrino and Dickens made headlines after Matthew Herman, Music Ministry Team Organizer for Harvest Family Church, made accusations about the singer’s absence from a scheduled appearance. “Fantasia’s Manager agreed on the $15,000 contract and then magically became unavailable. Just like he’s done with other people in the past,” Herman tweeted in March. “I only dealt with Fantasia’s manager because she won’t do business without him. Very unfortunate. Such a sad career for her with him.” – Read more at Christian Post

Hudson murder trial rolls along – Brittany Acoff-Howard, who said she was like a little sister to Balfour, testified he asked her to lie about his whereabouts on the day of the murders at the Hudson family’s South Side home. Acoff-Howard said Balfour told her, “If anybody asks you, I’ve been out west all day.” •Reginald Jones testified he bought drugs from Hudson’s brother and once helped him cook cocaine into crack in the family’s kitchen. Balfour’s attorneys have suggested the murders were linked to the brother’s drug business. – Read more at Chicago Tribune

Jennifer Hudson emotional as brother’s friend testifies – Williams said a couple months before the murders he saw Jason’s gun in a bedroom closet where Balfour was living at the time. It’s alleged Balfour stole Jason’s gun a few weeks before the murders. Williams said he found about the murders on his way back from work during the afternoon of October 24, 2008. Jennifer Hudson wiped her eyes as she watched Williams choke up when he told the jury the news of his best friend’s death was “the worst thing I heard to this day, actually my whole life.” Williams said while he knew Jason Hudson was a drug dealer, he testified Jason wasn’t big time. Williams said Jason never owed anybody a drug debt and didn’t have any enemies. – Read more at ABC Local

Revenge of the rivals: Simon Cowell in ‘secret talks’ with BBC over new Saturday night show – For just over ten years Simon Cowell has been working happily with ITV, but he is now reportedly in talks to jump ship. The X Factor mogul has allegedly been having secret talks with the BBC about a new TV drama he wants to develop for the channel. The 52-year-old, who began his TV career on Pop Idol in 2001, feels betrayed by ITV and has spoken to BBC1 controller Danny Cohen about his new idea. – Read more at the Daily Mail.com

About mj santilli 35006 Articles
Founder and editor of mjsbigblog.com, home of the awesomest fan community on the net. I love cheesy singing shows of all kinds, whether reality or scripted. I adore American Idol, but also love The Voice, Glee, X Factor and more!