Here it is…this week’s Idol Billboard Update…right HERE.
The start of the new season of American Idol means Idols on the Billboard charts get a welcome sales boost in the middle of the January doldrums. The biggest recipient of the Idol boost was David Cook, who was featured prominently during the Phoenix and Kansas City auditions. But David Archuleta, Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson all saw sales increases this week, too.
And, Kelly Clarkson’s “My Life Would Suck Without You” debuts on the charts. The song raced up the iTunes charts when it was released this week. Right now, it still sits at #1. Kelly’s single will be the big story next week when its huge sales are reflected on the Billboard charts.
Here are the highlights:
- David Cook, David Cook climbs from 18-10 on the Billboard 100, 22-17 on Top Internet Albums, 5-3 on Top Rock albums and it re-enters Top Digital Albums at #7. It had a 58% sales increase (while most albums in the Top 10 sank) selling 31K for a total of 892K.
- Cook’s single “Light On” had a whopping 80% increase in sales, 68K for a total of 592K On the charts: Hot 100 – 39-23, Hot 100 Airplay – 54-55, Pop 100 – 27-23, Pop 100 Airplay – 26-26, Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks – 29-28 (it debuted last week), Mainstream Top 40 – 24-23, Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks – 9-7, Hot Digital Tracks – 40-15, Hot Digital Songs- 43-17.
- Cook’s “Time of My Life” had a 53% increase, 14K for a total of 1.08M. It remains at #1 on the Hot Adult Contemporary Chart for the 15th week. There are only six songs by solo male artists that have hit #1 for 15 or more weeks.
- David Archuleta, David Archuleta climbs from 62-53 on the Billboard 200, a 6% increase 9K for a total of 597K.
- Archie’s single “Crush” is still chugging along. It had a 9% sales increase, 40K for a total of 145M. On the Charts: Hot 100 – 47-39, Hot 100 Airplay – 75-74, Pop 100 – 40-42, Pop 100 Airplay – 44-51, Hot Contemporary Tracks – 8-7, Hot Digital Tracks – 44-32, Hot Digital Songs, 47-37 and it moves off the Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks chart to #6 on the Hot Adult Top 40 Recurrents.
- Arch’s new single “A Little Too Not Over You” climbs from 98-83 on the Pop 100 and 73-66 on the Pop 100 Airplay.
- Daughtry, Daughtry climbs from 104-97 on the Billboard 200. It re-enters Top Modern Rock/Alternative Albums at #18 and climbs 21-18 on Top Hard Rock Albums. It had a 7% sales increase, 5K for a total of 4.4M
- Jennifer Hudson, Jennifer Hudson climbs 92-57 on the Billboard 200, and 24-16 on Top R&B/Hip Hop Albums, a 44% increase, 6K for a total of 569K. I suspect her boost was related to the announcement that she’ll be emerging from mourning her family tragedy to perform at the Super Bowl and the Grammys rather than anything Idol related. I’m so glad she’s coming back.
- Carnival Ride, Carrie Underwood moved little on the charts this week (BB 200 68-69, Country Albums – 9-9), but two songs debuted on the Hot County Songs Chart – “I Told You So” at #37 and “The More Boys I Meet” at #52.
- Kelly Clarkson’s “My Life Would Suck Without You” debuts on several charts this week: Hot 100 – #97, Hot 100 Airplay – #58 (lots of spins this week!), Pop 100 – #31, Pop 100 Airplay – #25, Mainstream Top 40 – #27, Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks – #28, and the Canadian Hot 100 at #82.