Idol debut numbers sure aren’t what they used to be!
Lee DeWyze is predicted to sell 40-45K of his post-Idol debut, Live it Up first week, based on 1 day sales projections by Industry mag, Hits Daily Double.
These numbers will likely change up or down, but probably not by much.
I’m not surprised. With Season 9 light on buzz, and album sales that continue to decline, I didn’t expect Lee to outsell Kris Allen’s 85K. It looks Like Lee will take Kris’s place as lowest Idol debut for a winner.
Just to compare, here are the final first week sales for all the Idol winners through Season 8:
1. Ruben Studdard, (S2) “Souful, ” 400, 000+
2. Carrie Underwood, (S4) “Some Hearts, ” 315, 000
3. Taylor Hicks, “Taylor Hicks, ” 298, 000
4. Kelly Clarkson, Thankful, (S1) 297, 000
5. David Cook, David Cook, (S7) 279, 000
6. Fantasia Barrino, Free Yourself, (S3) 240, 000
7. Jordin Sparks, Jordin Sparks, (S6) 119, 000
8. Kris Allen, “Kris Allen, ” (S8) 85, 000
In other sales news, Simon Cowell is expected to come out a big winner with holiday-themed albums, as his Britain’s Got Talent runner-up, Susan Boyle is expected to hit No. 1 on the Billboard 200 next week with 300K+ sales for her album The Gift. Her album debuted at No. 1 this week with 318K sales.
And this season’s America’s Got Talent runner-up 10 year old operatic singer, Jackie Evancho is projected to come in at #2 with 270-290k sales for her EP.
The Glee entry, Christmas album is slated to sell between 150-160K