A few sources close to the American Idol production tell Michael Slezak of Entertainment Weekly that there’s no hurry to begin the judges’ round of American Idol 10 auditions.
“The urgency is not there. It only exists in the press, ” says one source, “People need to just chill.”
Simon Cowell’s busy schedule determined the audition schedule in the past. But with now that the Brittle Brit has moved on to produce the US version of X Factor, the producers have wide-open scheduling options.
Slezak points out that next week’s cattle-call beginning on September 22 in Los Angeles means the judges’ call-backs can’t begin until Sept. 27th at the earliest. Slezak points out that last year, the Hollywood Round didn’t begin until Janurary. A source says judges’ call-backs could conceivably be pushed back to October or November with no issues, except an accelerated editing schedule.
That all sounds reasonable. They’ve done judges’ call backs as late as October before. However, Ryan Seacrest himself said on his radio show yesterday that there would be an announcement very soon, and his team were set to leave for auditions “around the 25th or 26th”. Ryan wouldn’t make sh*t up, would he? Or would he… Hm.
Conflicting reports have been a hallmark of the Idol Season 10 waiting game. I guess we’ll just have to keep on waiting…