Many Dancing with the Stars fans were hoping that producers would bring back recently eliminated contestant, Alexa PenaVega, after Tamar Braxton withdrew from competition due to blood clots in her lungs.
The show did consider the possibility of bringing Alexa and her pro-partner, Mark Ballas, back to the show, but in the end, reports People Magazine, it was decided on the remaining four couples will compete on Monday.
This solution is probably for the best. Alexa was eliminated, and therefore was eliminated from voting. How fair would it have been to bring her back? She was the lowest vote getter based on the previous week’s dances. It’s too bad Tamar didn’t just drop out before Monday’s show.
On Monday, to fill the time left empty by Tamar’s exit, the semi-finalists will dance head-to-head in a newly added competition.
Here’s how the “dance off challenge” will work:
- Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess will dance a samba against Bindi Irwin and partner Derek Hough.
- Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold will dance a cha-cha against Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson.
Each couple that wins the dance-off challenge will be awarded three points from the judges, which will be added to the points received for the two previously scheduled dances the couples have been rehearsing.
One dance features a style the four remaining couples have not danced yet this season and another is a trio featuring a second pro dancer of their choosing.
- Alek Skarlatos & Lindsay Arnold – Waltz – “America The Beautiful” – Ray Chew and the band will play
- Bindi Irwin & Derek Hough – Salsa – “You’re Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile” by Sia
- Carlos Pena-Vega & Witney Carson – Contemporary – “Drag Me Down” by One Direction
- Nick Carter & Sharna Burgess – Tango – “Scars” by Alesso feat Ryan Tedder
- Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold with Emma Slater
- Bindi Irwin & Derek Hough with Mark Ballas
- Carlos Pena-Vega & Witney Carson with Karina Smirnoff
- Nick Carter & Sharna Burgess with Peta Murgatroyd
There has been no official decision made as to whether someone will be eliminated at the end of Monday’s episode. Somebody could be eliminated, leaving a 3 pair finale. OR they could give the couples a reprieve and go ahead with the 4 pair finale as planned. Of course, the producers plan to leave us in suspense until showtime.
UPDATE: ABC has announced there will be no elimination this week.
Dancing with the Star airs Mondays (8 p.m. ET) on ABC.