Once again there’s a new leader on top of the Power List! Read this week’s ranking and take the poll as to which is your current “Dancing” favorite!
11. Drew Lachey and Anna Trebunksaya (last week 8) – I’m thinking Drew’s a goner tonight. He did a great job reinterpreting the dance (I personally liked the fans), but he went early and was just okay. His Bottom 2 appearance in Week One would be the only thing saving him tonight, but I think it’s clear the judges and producers really have no use for him anymore.
10. Sabrina Bryan and Louis van Amstel (last week 1) – Sabrina takes a major plunge from 1st to 10th this week. I really, REALLY hope America saves her tonight. She’s in a four-way tie for 4th place, but even though she danced phenomenally tonight, she didn’t bring the gimmicks DWTS voters eat up. Sabrina is the best dancer probably in the history of the show, but I have to wonder if she has the fanbase to carry her through a double elimination tonight. I’ll be really upset if she goes.
9. Helio Castroneves and Chelsie Hightower (last week 6) – I was surprised to see Helio in the Bottom 2 last week, and all of a sudden this past winner became very vulnerable to elimination. Last week’s shock will carry him through to next week, but you can tell Helio’s been a little shooken up. He’s got to be consistent to go further.
8. Kristie Alley and Maksim Chmerkovskiy (last week 9) – Kirstie is only in this competition because she’s funny. Last night she actually did a good job, and she was really funny again. People want her around, and I’m sure TPTB do as well. I say she’s safe.
7. Melissa Rycroft and Tony Dovolani (last week 7) – Melissa also a spot this week after topping the leaderboard. I’m not sure she has a strong fanbase for when she scores middle of the pack, but as of tonight her dynamic samba and high scores lock her into the competition.
6. Bristol Palin and Mark Ballas (last week 12) – Bristole takes a huge leap up 6 spots this week. Why? Because she cried and she didn’t completely suck. Oh, and her mom is Sarah Palin.
My “Elite 5” changes for the first time, dropping Sabrina this week.
5. Emmitt Smith and Cheryl Burke (last week 5) – I don’t think Emmitt is as good as we’re made out to think he is. He just feels very flat to me when he dances, but viewers will eat up his masculinity. He’s a good dancer and he’s got a big fanbase. He also has great chemistry with Cheryl, who definitely knows what she can get away with and what fans love about Emmitt.
4. Apolo Anton Ohno and Karina Smirnoff (last week 4) – Apolo stays steady at fourth again. He was in that four-way tie with Sabrina, Helio, and Gilles, but like Gilles, the fans are sure to push him past Sabrina and Helio. He’s contagious and tried being sexy this week, and he proved he can take on ballroom and Latin with equal vigor this week.
3. Kelly Monaco and Val Chmerkovskiy (last week 10) – Kelly makes a giant seven-spot jump up the Power List. Last week I was concerned she wasn’t experienced enough. Last night, however, she was on fire and did better than every contestant (I’d give it to Kelly over Melissa last night). The judges and TPTB definitely want her, and she still has that nostalgia aspect of being the first ever winner and the “Dancing Queen.” I think last night was a turning point for Kelly.
2. Shawn Johnson and Derek Hough (last week 3) – Shawn’s illegal quickstep scored the season’s first 9.5, and there isn’t a single doubt in my mind that the bubbly Shawn recruited a ton of fans. My concern for Shawn was to be consistent, but Shawn’s brought it every single week 100%. Shawn is a lock to go far if she performs the way she did last night.
1. Gilles Marini and Peta Murgatroyd (last week 2) – Gilles tops the Power List for the first time tonight. It’s very obvious that his charm, grace, and dancing ability have won over legions of fans already. Gilles is very consistent and smooth, and at as of this week, I think he and Shawn are neck-in-neck to win it all. Tonight I think Shawn would have won in overall votes, but I’m not sure she can hold that over Gilles’ dancing all season. We shall see, because those two are truly the two to beat as of this week.
It’s too hard to pick a bottom this week. Gilles, Shawn, Kelly, Apolo, Emmitt, and Bristol are definitely safe. I highly doubt Melissa will go anywhere. That leaves Kirstie, Helio, Sabrina, and Drew.
Bottom this week: Drew, Sabrina, and Helio.
Going home: Drew, and possibly Sabrina. I really really really really hope Sabrina doesn’t go home and is robbed for the second time in a row. Hopefully she’s saved!