This week’s Idol Billboard update–right here.
- Kimberly Locke’s new album “Based on a True Story” debut’s on the Billboard 200 this week at #160. Not so great considering her single, “Change” is #10 on the Hot Adult Contemporary Songs chart. She sold 4, 842 units this week.
- The soundtrack to Dreamgirls, featuring Jennifer Hudson jumped from #125 to #44 on the Billboard 200 this week. It also jumped from #42 to #15 on the Top R7B Albums chart, and from #5 to #3 on the Top Soundtracks chart. The movie Dreamgirls was recently released on DVD.
- Fantasia’s single, “When I See U” continues to climb up the chart: From #75 to #69 on the Billboard Hot 100, from #48 to #42 on the Hot 100 airplay, from #14 to #13 on the Hot R&B Singles & Tracks and Airplay charts and from #10 to #9 on the Hot Adult R&B Airplay chart.
- Bucky Covington’s single, “A Different World” is #19 on the Hot Singles and Tracks chart, making it a Top 20 country hit.
- Another Season 5 contestant, Elliott Yamin’s single “Wait for You” re-enters the Billboard Hot 100 at #100. It climbs from #68 to #60 on the Pop 100 chart, and from #35 to #33 on the Pop 100 Airplay chart. His appearance on the Final 3 results show Wednesday should give Elliott a nice spike for both his album and single.
- I didn’t mention it last week, but Carrie Underwood’s, “I’ll Stand By You” from the Idol Gives Back show is the first iTunes exclusive track to debut on the Billboard 100. It debuted at #6 last week and hangs on to the #6 position this week.
- Talking about spikes, Kelly Clarkson is scheduled to perform on the big finale next week. I’m sure she’ll sing her single, “Never Again”–her appearance should reverse the bit of ground the single lost on the charts this week. Also, there is good news for peeps waiting for her album “My December” to drop. The release date has been moved from July to June 26…
- The big Idol winner this week is not an Idol. Bon Jovi has multiple tracks on the charts this week after their appearance on Idol last week. “Wanted Dead or Alive, ” “You Give Love a Bad Name, ” “Livin’ on a Prayer, ” “Blaze of Glory, ” “It’s My Life” and “This Ain’t a Love Song” all entered the Hot Digital Songs chart. “You Give Love a Bad Name, ” “Livin’ on a Prayer” and “Blaze of Glory, ” entered the Hot Digital Tracks chart. Bon Jovi’s “Have a Nice Day” reentered the Hot Digital Songs and Hot Digital Tracks charts at #46 and #47 respectively. Finally, the album “Have a Nice Day” re-entered the Billboard 200 at #113. Whew.
For more chart information, check out Donna Reynolds’ chart watch on FoxesonIdols.com. And for more number-crunching goodness, check out USA Today’s Idol Chatter blog. Ken Barnes has access to Soundscan numbers, and breaks all the chart numbers down once a week.