This week’s Idol Billboard Update, right here.
- The big news this week–Bucky Covington’s first week numbers for his debut album are in and they are as sweet as sweet tea. Heh. His CD came in at #4 on the Billboard 200 and #1 on the Top Country Albums chart. It sold 61, 042 units this week. According to Billboard, Bucky’s debut is the biggest on Top Country Albums by a new male artist since Billy Ray Cyrus’ “Some Gave All” started with 90, 000 in 1992. Awesome. Bucky’s single “A Different World” debuts on the Billboard Hot 100, Pop 100, and Hot Digital Songs at #63, #68, and #64 respectively.
- Kelly Clarkson’s brand new single, the angry girls’ anthem “Never Again” was just released to radio, and of course, it’s currently all over the charts. Hot 100 Airplay-#58, Pop 100-#57, Pop 100 Airplay-#23 and Hot Adult Top 40-#21. Kelly also has a bunch of TV appearances coming up to support her single and upcoming tour. Tickets for the tour go on sale May 12.
- Carrie Underwood’s unstoppable album “Some Hearts” received a nice bounce from her appearance on the CMT awards last week. The CD climbed from #14 to #9. Her single “Wasted” sits at the #1 position on the Hot Country Singles and Tracks for the 3rd week in a row. Her single, “Before He Cheats” debuts on the Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks chart at #24.
- Kellie Pickler, who presented at the CMT’s also benefited from her appearance. Her CD “Small Town Girl” climbed from #142 to #118. She also appeared on the Grand Ole Opry last Saturday night, so she should follow up with another good week.
- Elliott Yamin’s single, “Wait for You” climbs from #91 to #78 on the Pop 100 and #48 to #42 on the Pop 100 Airplay charts. The cross-country radio tour Elliott is currently on is probably giving the single a boost. Check out Rickey.org to hear Elliott performing a sweet acoustic version of “Wait For You” at a Philly radio station.
- As the Daughtry single “Home” climbs up the pop charts, another single from the album DAUGHTRY, “What I Want, ” was released to rock radio this week.
- Tim McGraw’s “When the Stars Go Blue” re-entered the Hot Digital Tracks chart at #37 and the Hot Digital Song chart at #39. Blake Lewis performed the Ryan Adams penned tune as his country song, Top 7 night.
- Look out for Paris Bennett’s new album, due to drop May 8. She’s currently the spokesperson for McDonald’s American Idol themed Happy Meals.
Ken Barnes from USA Today has more numbers on his Idol Chatter Blog. And you can check out more Idols on the charts on Donna Reynolds’ Chart Watch at foxesonidol.com.