Here’s the American Idol Season 8 Schedule from American Idol.com.
- Jan 13 & 14 – 2 hour audition episodes each night
- Jan 20 & 21 – Auditions
- Jan 27 & 28 – Auditions
- Thur, Jan 29 – Final Audition Episode
- Feb 3 & 4 – Hollywood Week
- Feb 10 & 11 – Hollywood Week
- Feb 17 & 18 – Top 36 Semi-Final Round
- Feb 24 & 25 -Top 36 Semi-Final Round
- Mar 3 & 4 – Top 36 Semi-Final Round
- Thur, Mar 5 – Wildcard Show
- Tues, Mar 10 – Top 12 Round begins
ETA: The Audition rounds have been shortened by only one episode, with the last Audition episode scheduled for a Thursday.
The only other Thursday episode is the “Wildcard” show. Contestants, chosen by the producers, will have the opportunity to perform again in front of the judges, who will choose 3 contestants to round out the Top 12.
Unlike the “Wildcard” round of the first 3 seasons, there will be no “America’s Choice” pick. (Clay Aiken and Jon Peter Lewis were both voted though by viewers).
Yippee. An entire episode devoted to the judges putting the producer’s ringers through to the Top 12. I predict low ratings for a performance episode that doesn’t allow viewer participation.
I hope some of the questions I have are answered at the press conference scheduled for later today. For instance, will there be a “chair” episode this year, where the Top 50 are assembled and each is called down to sit in front of the judges and learn their fate?
Update: I just learned that there will be a chair episode this year…