American Idol Kicks Off Virtual “Idol Across America” Auditions in All 50 States
ABC’s American Idol became the first reality competition series to air remotely, paving the way for other American competitive reality shows to continue amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
And during this season’s first round of auditions, American Idol will continue to forge a path during the pandemic. Instead of the traditional bus tour across the country, the show will utilize custom-built Zoom technology to host “Idol Across America,” its first-ever live virtual nationwide search for the next superstar.
Beginning Aug. 10, “Idol Across America” remote auditions will take place across all 50 states plus Washington, D.C., for the first time since the show’s inception. The kickoff to season four will give hopefuls the chance to showcase their talents from anywhere in America, across any official audition date and face-to-face with an American Idol producer, staying true to its roots by providing aspiring Idols real-time feedback on their journey to being crowned the next American Idol.
American Idol returns to ABC Spring 2021 for it’s 4th season on the network, it’s 19th altogether.
“Idol Across America” auditions will be held as follows (subject to change)
- Delaware, Florida and Ohio (Aug 10)
- Louisiana, Missouri and Wisconsin (Aug 12)
- Arizona, Oregon and Washington (Aug. 14)
- Georgia, Maryland, Washington D.C. and Rhode Island (Aug 16)
- Open Call Auditions (Aug 17)
- Alabama, Arkansas and Kansas (Aug 18)
- Idaho, New Mexico and Utah (Aug. 20)
- Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota and Texas (Aug 22)
- Michigan, Tennessee and Virginia (Aug 24)
- Open Call Auditions (Aug 25)
- Iowa, Mississippi and Oklahoma (Aug 26)
- Illinois, Indiana and Minnesota (Aug 28)
- Connecticut, New Jersey and New York (Aug 30)
- Colorado, Montana, Nevada and Wyoming (Sep 1)
- Maine, South Carolina and West Virginia (Sep 3)
- Alaska, California and Hawaii (Sep 5)
- Kentucky, New Hampshire and Pennsylvania (Sep 7)
- Massachusetts, North Carolina and Vermont (Sep 9)
To sign up for “Idol Across America” and a chance to virtually audition in front of an American Idol producer, visit www.americanidol.com/auditions. There you will find more details on specific dates, full eligibility requirements, submission forms, terms and conditions. You must be between 15 – 28 years old to audition and may do so on any “Idol Across America” date regardless of your location.
Actually, The Voice has been conducting open auditions in a similar manner. Not state by state, but hopefuls were able to schedule individual time slots in order to audition in front of producers.
I wonder, with the development of “state of the art” remote technology, if producers will scale back in person auditions even after the pandemic is over. It’s the same as corporations who might decide to keep their workforce at home permanently, because it works and it’s cheaper.
Also, it’s worth noting that American Idol has been soliciting online auditions all summer. It will be interesting to see how producers handle the Hollywood/Showcase rounds. No way this pandemic is over by December or January.
American Idol Winner Just Sam Gives The TOP 5 Tips For Your Audition