Here it is peeps–the last iTunes reviews of the season! If you’re thinking of buying some of this seasons iTune’s performances from the Top 12, you can read through all of my reviews HERE. What do you think of the Top 2 studio recordings? Tell us in comments…
Download Idol studio recordings from iTunes HERE.
- Lee DeWyze – “The Boxer” – Audio – The first time I listened to Lee’s recording, I got chills. His vocal is so beautiful and heartfelt, and the phrasing is gorgeous. The live performance suffered from the Idol edit, and Lee’s lack of ease on the Idol stage. But this recording? I love it. – Video – You Tube
- Crystal Bowersox – “Me And Bobby McGhee” – Even without a major re-working of this song, Crystal manages to completely make it her own. I mean, seriously, she could record this and release it as a cover, it’s that good. Incredible tone, delivery and confidence = Win Win Win. I love Crystal- Audio – Video – You Tube
- Lee DeWyze – “Everybody Hurts” – A straight-up arrangement that deviates very little from the original. Do we need a carbon copy cover of this REM classic from an American Idol contestant? Not really. Solid vocal, though. – Audio – Video – You Tube
- Crystal Bowersox – “Black Velvet” – I hate this song with the white-hot intensity of 10, 000 suns…except when Crystal sings it. Wow. Crystal transformed this cliched AC mid-tempo rocker into a white-hot blues jam. FABULOUS – Audio – Video – You Tube
- Lee DeWyze – “Beautiful Day” – The arrangement is so close to the original, there’s zero chance it will get played on the radio. However, buried under the orchestration I hear a connection to the song and some beautiful phrasing. A much better arrangement is the version Lee sang on Access Hollywood here. He really makes it his own. I hope his tour arrangement is similar. – Audio – Video – You Tube
- Crystal Bowersox – “Up to the Mountain” – It doesn’t pack the same punch as the live version, but Crystal’s vocals here are absolutely gorgeous. The song is a quiet, lovely prayer. Patti Griffin would not be disappointed. – Audio – Video – You Tube