We’re previewing Sunday’s American Idol Top 5 episode, ranking the remaining contestants, as well as taking a look at last week’s poll results.
This week on American Idol, the remaining 5 contestants will perform TWO songs. One from the Carrie Underwood catalog and the second devoted to Mother’s Day. Here’s a little advanced tidbit: The credits will be replaced with the names of the cast and crew’s respective mothers. So watch for that.
Not only will the kids be singing songs by the American Idol season 4 winner, but Carrie will also be on hand to mentor the contestants inside the famed Bluebird Cafe in Nashville.
5. Michael J Woodard – Michael’s Carrie Underwood pick “Flat on the Floor” seems like an odd song choice even for a singer who admittedly likes making out of the box selections. Michael is also performing a big emotional ballad, “Still I Rise” by Yolanda Adams. Perhaps he wanted an upbeat tune as a second song choice. However, Idol is notorious for handing contestants a short list of songs even from a theme that contains a vast catalog. I wonder if that’s the case here? Regardless, with the competition heating up, Michael has a tough fight to make the Top 3.
4. Caleb LeeHutchinson – As it stands now, Caleb and Cade will be fighting for that 3rd spot. Caleb is a bit of a dark horse right now. He had a real moment with “When Doves Cry” last week. I would not count him out! His song choice, “Stars in Alabama” is interesting, and a bit of a risk, as the tune wasn’t a huge radio hit. Carrie’s “So Small” is a real tear jerker that has “big moment” potential for him.
3. Cade Foehner – This week, Cade goes with the singing show staple, “Simple Man” and Carrie’s made-for-rockers “Undo It.” They are just the type of songs his fans would expect. But should he be playing it safe this week?
2. Maddie Poppe – Maddie has delivered consistently delightful performances over the course of the competition. The gorgeous Beach Boys song, “God Only Knows” is right in her folk/rock retro wheelhouse, and is a song that hasn’t been overdone on Idol. The tender “I Told You So” will highlight her impressive ability to phrase a song. The singers who prevail choose great songs because they know themselves well as artists. That’s Maddie.
1. Gabby Barrett – Last week, the soulful country singer delivered big on a Prince tune, “How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore” which puts her back at the top of the power list. This week Gabby chose one song that shows off her sassy side (Carrie’s “Last Name”) and another that will give her the opportunity to highlight her big, big voice (“I Have Nothing”). Whitney/Mariah songs are also risk. However, if a singer can pull them off, the payoff can be huge. Having uploaded a version of I Have Nothing to Youtube, it’s safe to say the song is in her comfort zone.
How would YOU rate the remaining contestants?
Check out the contestants greeting Carrie at the Bluebird cafe.
Here are some results from last week’s polls
Check out all the poll results from Prince Night at this link.
Favorite Top 5 Contestant
BIG fans of Maddie here on the blog. I approve!
1. Maddie Poppe 48.5%
2. Michael J. Woodard 16.59%
3. Gabby Barrett 13.59%
4. Cade Foehner 8.41%
5. Caleb Lee Hutchinson 5.3%