It’s here. The American Idol finale. The votes are in and a winner will be crowned tonight. REMINDER: DWTS Finale Airs at 8 pm ET/PT. American Idol finale begins at 9 pm ET/PT
Will it be the soulful country singer from Pittsburgh, Gabby Barrett, midwest singer/songwriter Maddie Poppe or the Georgia country boy Caleb Lee Hutchinson? You watched Sunday night’s (May 20) finale and made your predictions.
Judges Lionel Richie, Katy Perry and Luke Bryan don’t determine the winner. We do. Here are your favorite performances and finale predictions. I’ve also added iTunes chart and YouTube stream numbers for comparison.
There have been no iTunes downloads all seasons, except for the Top 3 winners singles. Fans aren’t in the habit of downloading songs. Also, last night’s Billboard Awards winners have been dominating the charts. The Top 3 singles didn’t even crack the Top 20. Here’s where the trio stand at 5 pm ET.
Maddie is ahead on iTunes. But look at the YouTube Streams. Gabby’s “Rivers Deep” is the highest streamed winners song. However, Maddie’s “Landslide” is out front. Both Maddie and Gabby outpace Caleb on YouTube.
30. Maddie Poppe – Going Going Gone
60. Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Johnny Cash Heart
82. Gabby Barrett – Rivers Deep
Maddie Poppe – Landslide – 293K
Gabby Barrett – Rivers Deep – 225K
Maddie Poppe – Going Going Gone – 173K
Gabby Barrett – Don’t Stop Believing – 165K
Maddie Poppe – Don’t Ever Let Your Children Grow Up – 156K
Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Johnny Cash Heart – 135K
Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Don’t Close Your Eyes – 117K
Gabby Barrett – Little Red Wagon – 116K
Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Folsom Prison Blues – 98K
Y’all are fans of Maddie and believe she should and will win. All that means is that we love Maddie here on the blog. Tonight’s results could be something completely different. Having said that…
My Prediction: Honestly, no result tonight would be shocking. I think a case could be made for any of the three winning: Gabby’s been a frontrunner all season/pushed to win by the show. Caleb had a tidy growth arc and is a male country singer from the south–a fav Idol demographic. Maddie has been gathering steam all season and has been delivering stellar, artistic performances of late. Therefore, I’m going with my gut (or perhaps my bias…). Maddie Poppe will win American Idol. Caleb Hutchinson will come in second and Gabby Barrett 3rd. This, based on chart numbers and the last couple of weeks of performances. I won’t be surprised if I’m wrong.
Favorite Performance Overall
- Maddie Poppe – Landslide 60.91%
- Maddie Poppe – Don’t Let Your Children Grow Up 8.22%
- Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Folsom Prison Blues 6.29%
- Maddie Poppe – Going Going Gone 6.09%
- Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Don’t Close Your Eyes 5.58%
- Gabby Barrett – Don’t Stop Believing 4.97%
- Gabby Barrett – Little Red Wagon 3.45%
- Gabby Barrett – Rivers Deep 3.15%
- Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Johnny Cash Heart 1.32%
Favorite Winners Single
- Maddie Poppe – Going Going Gone 72.9%
- Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Johnny Cash Heart 13.91%
- Gabby Barrett -– Rivers Deep 13.19%
Favorite Hometown Dedication
- Maddie Poppe – Landslide 76.45%
- Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Folsom Prison Blues 13.49%
- Gabby Barrett – Don’t Stop Believing 10.06%
- Maddie Poppe – Don’t Ever Let Your Children Grow Up 63.95%
- Caleb Lee Hutchinson – Don’t Close Your Eyes 21.32%
- Gabby Barrett – Little Red Wagon 14.74%
Grade the Episode
A very disappointing finale for many of you who graded the episode B-
- B 44.32%
- C 35.23%
- A 10.09%
- D 7.67%
- F 2.7%
Who Will Win
- Maddie Poppe 609 63.77% 63.77%
- Gabby Barrett 179 18.74% 18.74%
- Caleb Lee Hutchinson 167 17.49% 17.49%
Who Should Win
- Maddie Poppe 78.55%
- Gabby Barrett 11.82%
- Caleb Lee Hutchinson 9.64%
SNEAKY BONUS VIDEO!
Behold a chubby 16 year old Caleb Lee Hutchinson NOT getting a chair turn on The Voice season 9! He was soooo awkward back then.