- American Idol
- Amazing Race
- America’s Got Talent
- Celebrity Apprentice
- Dancing with the Stars
- Glee Spoilers
- The Glee Project
- Ru Paul’s Drag Race
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- X Factor
- X Factor UK
- Adam Lambert
- Blake Lewis
- Bo Bice
- Brooke White
- Carrie Underwood
- Casey James
- Chris Daughtry
- Clay Aiken
- Crystal Bowersox
- Danny Gokey
- David Archuleta
- David Cook
- Elliott Yamin
- Haley Reinhart
- James Durbin
- Jennifer Hudson
- Jessica Sanchez
- Jordin Sparks
- Justin Guarini
- Katharine McPhee
- Kellie Pickler
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kris Allen
- Lauren Alaina
- Lee Dewyze
- Pia Toscano
- Phillip Phillips
- Scotty McCreery
- Taylor Hicks
- American Idol 12 Recaps
Colton Dixon Eliminated from American Idol!
The American Idol 11 Top 7 results are tonight! Look out for a tribute to the late, great Dick Clark. Plus, Season 8 winner, Kris Allen sings his new single, “The Vision of Love” And LMFAO will perform.
Nigel Lythgoe tweeted: “Yes, we have another BIG shock on #AmericanIdol tonight. Wow, we are going to have a lot of unhappy people tonight.”
All bets are off people! We’ve really got ourselves a race here where there are truly no front runners and I cannot remember that ever happening on Idol at this stage of the game! What happened to Colton? Last week, he pleased the judges and Jimmy Iovine with his re-interpretation of a Skylar Gray song, and Phillip was on the outs after he Dave Matthewed a Maroon 5 tune. What a difference a week makes!
Possible reasons for Colton’s elimination: He performed early. The 1st half hour of the show had very low ratings compared to the rest of the show. He turned off his base by singing Lady Gaga, which is totally out of his Christian character Actually, this is the theory Colton believes to be true. Ryan announced the vote totals for the first time, indicating there could have been a slew of new voters this week who voted based on performance. It could have been a perfect storm of those reasons, and maybe more.
Personally, I always felt Colton’s performances were overpraised. He always had pitch problems, and his emo-come-90s style is not for everybody. Honestly, I do not think he would have been a good winner. He would have clashed with the record executives who would surely have wanted to turn him into a secular pop star. Now, he can go off and sign with one of the Christian labels who are probably already knocking on his door. Colton has stated publicly that he wants to be a Christian artist. He has been laying the groundwork for that during his entire Idol run (well, maybe not with that Lady Gaga song. What was he thinking?) and that effort will payoff. He’ll be fine.
The producers made a point of catching Colton’s bad side tonight, airing that clip of him saying he didn’t care about the judges’ opinions. Boy did that statement come back to bite him in the ass. He told the press yesterday that he didn’t understand the judges’ criticisms, that he’s a guy who changes up songs! That’s what he does! Well, there’s changing up songs and then there is dismantling them and not being quite sure of how to put them back together again. I think BOTH his songs sunk him. He annoyed on two fronts. His Christian fanbase was probably unhappy with the Gaga song, and anyone who knows and loves the classic funk tune “September” loathed his arrangement. That’s quite the one two punch.
The good news is that Elise once again escaped the noose, and I’m pretty damn happy about that. She’s got her own attitude problems, but frankly–I don’t care. She’s one of those people who can’t put on a happy face if she’s not feeling it. She giggles when she’s nervous. And she’s pretty insecure. But she’s a damn fine singer and she belongs in the competition.
These crazy results have got to be putting fear into the hearts of the remaining contestants. I’m hoping that from here on out EVERYONE sings like it could be their last performance on the Idol stage. Nobody can afford to coast. For that reason, the rest of the season has the possibility to produce some really exciting performances. I am looking forward to it.
And I’m back to thinking we could possibly maybe have a female winner this year! Dare I dream?
53 million votes last night. I believe it’s the first time the total was announced in the live shows this season. I’m assuming a slew of new voters tonight.
Pointy pose! Top 7 Idols sing Martha and the Vandellas “Dancing in the Streets”. Other than Jessica’s mic going out, tonight’s group song was trainwreck free! Good job, guys.
This week’s Ford commercial has an Astrology theme! “Stars”. Phil Phillips is mysteriously absent this week.
Joshua Ledet and Hollie Cavangh take center stage first. Video recap and Jimmy Iovine’s critique is first.
- Jimmy on Joshua and Hollie: “Hollie and Joshua. I think Joshua did himself a lot of good last night. He stayed in his sweet spot, he was very comfortable. And for that final song, “A Change is Gonna Come”…if we could find a song as a record company as good as that to give to Joshua? We’re going to have a great run with him. Hollie did come out of her shell last night. She wasn’t as nervous. Picking “Son of a Preacher Man” for Hollie was very very clever. It keeps her out of the bottom 3? I don’t think so. But it was good. If Hollie is going to make the finale this year, I believe, is a long road ahead of her. She’s very good, she’s very competent–and she took a giant step this week. But as far as the finale–that’s a tough road. In my opinion, if Joshua is going to be in the finale, he’s just got to keep doing what he’s doing. As the audience grows for him, if he stays consistent, he could end up in the finale. He’s that good, he’s that clever in his song choices, and he’s got that great smile when he sings. I’m impressed.”
Aw. The two besties are side by side! One is safe, and the other is in the bottom 3. “Joshua, last week you faced elimination and this week, I’m afraid you didn’t get the right amount of votes…to put you in the bottom 3…” Joshua is SAFE. AND trolled. But that means, bestie Hollie is in the Bottom 3.
Taylor Hicks introduces Kris Allen who sits at the piano to sing his new single, “The Vision of Love”. Taylor will be performing in Las Vegas this summer.
Skylar Laine and Elise Testone take center stage. Deets and Jimmy Iovine comments first.
- Jimmy on Skylar and Elise: “Skylar and Elise. At one point in the show, they both sang Marvin Gaye songs. I believe Skylar delivered, I think Elise fell flat. “Heard it through the Grapevine” Skylar picked. Great job. Elise picked “Let’s it On”. “Let’s Get it On” caused a baby boom. Last night? No baby boom. Because of that choice of song, I believe, Elise is going to be spending some time in her vacation home in the bottom 3, if not actually going home. For Elise to be in the finale, she has to find the most potent rock and roll songs that she can deliver naturally, she’s going to have to find those songs, and sing them the way she sang Led Zepplin. That is the only way to pull this off. Skylar is a little engine that could get in the finale. Every week she gets better and better. And in my opinion she’s the best performer we’ve got.
Skylar tells Ryan that being in the bottom 3 last week really made her get on a new track. Ryan asked Elise if Jimmy or the judges was harder on her than anyone. “Yes, definitely,” says Elise, “Maybe they think I can take it more, because I’m older…it’s definitely disheartening a little bit, because I feel like I’ve worked so hard my whole life and I’ve done so many things, I feel a little discredited sometimes. That’s the name of the game, right? It can always be better.
It’s time to dim the lights. Jimmy was right. Elise makes another trip to her vacation home. Elise is in the bottom 3, while Skylar is SAFE.
After the break, it’s a very touching tribute to the late Dick Clark, who died yesterday at the age of 82. I love watching the old American Bandstand clips! Rest in Peace, Dick.
Next, LMFAO take the stage to sing “Sorry for Party Rocking”. And I really appreciate them apologizing ahead of time! That was a trainwreck. The giant zebra was a nice touch, however.
Back from break, and it’s time for more results. Nigel promises a shocker. Who could it be? Either Colton or Phillip would be pretty shocking. Jessica, not so much.
Phililp, Colton and Jessica take center stage. Deets and Jimmy first. In Colton’s video recap, after the judges criticize him, he looked at the camera and said, “Ouch. That kind of stung a little bit. I’m not trying to sound cocky, but I don’t care.”
- Jimmy on Phillip, Colton and Jessica: “Watching Jessica last night, a light went off. I realized–this girl is singing songs that are too old for her. People are not going to relate. When Jessica sings “Try a Little Tenderness” I think the audience says, “whoa” you’re too young for that song. As her mentor, I have to apologize, because I missed that. I should have caught that earlier. If we get another chance next week, I’m going to suggest to her that we move to songs that are more appropriate for her age. I think in this field of 7 really good singers, I believe that Phillip and Colton came out on opposite sides of the game. Phillip did a great job with the Usher song. I wasn’t sure how that was going to come off, but he really fell into it and I bought it completely. He could have written that song. It was really really well done. “The Midnight Hour,” Wilson Pickett, I could have taken or leave it. I think it was just a pass last night on that. Now Colton, with Lady Gaga’s “Bad Romance”, was completely wrong for me the way he looked, the way he positioned himself, the way he moved, the way he sang it. It was all wrong as far as I was concerned as a record company. The look–I was stunned. It was somewhere between 1985 Billy Idol on MTV/TRL to Spider Man on Broadway. I wasn’t sure what I was looking at. I’m disappointed about that. But he can come back. I hope he agrees with me, because I think last night was a real problem. In order for Colton to get in the finale, he’s got to regroup and get better songs. Phillip should be in the finale. He’s by far picking the best songs for himself. In order for Jessica to get in the finale, we’re going to have to go back and make sure she has songs that are appropriate for her age. Right now, this is not working.
After Jlo natters on uncomprehendingly about how she’s feeling (She’s on pins and needles!) it’s time for more results.
Dim the lights…Jessica “However tonight, unfortunately,” says Ryan, “There’s no saving you from the stress of this competition. You are safe!” AND TROLLED. Jessica Sanchez IS SAFE. It’s down to Colton and Phil. Neither have been in the bottom 3. Colton is in the bottom 3. Phil IS SAFE. Ryan asks Hollie and Elise to join him center stage with Colton. Ryan pulls Elise aside. “Last night was rough, but it’s going to get even tougher. You’re going to have to watch one of your friends get sent home.” “Shut up!” says Elise. Wow! I was so sure she’d be eliminated tonight. But so glad she’s safe. It’s down to Colton and Hollie.
After the break…Kieran dim the lights! Here we go! The person whose Idol journey ends is…Colton! The audience GASPS. Hollie is absolutely shocked. Jennifer is shaking her head. His sister Schyler is crying in the audience. Ryan asks Colton what he thinks happened. “I need to apologize,” says Colton, “I wasn’t myself last night, and I get it.”
“I appreciate what you told me, ” he says to the panel, “I’ll take that when I’m making a record and I’ll choose songs.” You have a huge career ahead of you, man.” says Randy. It’s time to take a look at Colton’s journey! After, Ryan shakes Colton’s hand and tells him he’s going to have a big career.
Colton sings out with Lifehouse’s “Everything”– literally, on his knees praising God. And we’re out.
- Joshua Ledet
- Skylar Laine
- Jessica Sanchez
- Phil Phillips
- Elise Testone
- Hollie Cavanagh
Hollie Cavanagh Elise Testone
- Colton Dixon
- Powered by Disqus
- Cassadee Pope Confirms New Single, Debuts Another New Song (AUDIO+VIDEO)
- Kacey Musgraves – Merry Go Round – Billboard Music Awards (VIDEO)
- Miguel Injures Fan as he Misses a Jump at the Billboard Music Awards (VIDEO)
- Justin Bieber Booed? – Billboard Music Awards – (VIDEO)
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 – Performances (VIDEO)
- All-Star Celebrity Apprentice – Finale – Recap and Results (UPDATED)
- Billboard Music Awards 2013 – Winners List and Live Blog
- Billboard Music Awards Blue Carpet Live Stream
- Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio To Join X Factor (REPORT)
- Dancing With The Stars Finale Preview: Jessica Sanchez Performs
- Canadian Singer Botches the National Anthem (VIDEO)
- X Factor UK Headlines for 05/19/13
- Adam Lambert – Mad World – Chinese Idol (VIDEO)
- Idol Headlines for 5/19/13
- Saturday Night 2013 Season Finale – Kanye West – VIDEO (UPDATED)
- Eurovision 2013: Grand Final
- Danny Gokey Announces Deal with BMG Records
- Idol Headlines for 5/18/2013
- Simon Cowell Twitter Riot: Will Announce X Factor Panel on Monday (Plus Other Random Topics)
- Eurovision 2013 – Ozzyd’s Power List
- Candice Glover Speaks to the Press (VIDEOS)
- Candice Glover – I Am Beautiful – The Tonight Show (Video)
- Kelly Rowland Close to Signing X Factor Deal (Report)
- Kree Harrison Speaks With Reporters (VIDEOS)
- NBC Announces All Six Coaches Will Return To The Voice