President elect Donald Trump is having a real hard time finding A list celebrities to perform at next month’s inauguration. Sad!
According to The Wrap, Mark Burnett, who is reportedly overseeing the entertainment for the festivities, has shook up the staff in charge of landing talent.
Mark Burnett, who produces “Celebrity Apprentice” with Trump and has been overseeing entertainment for inauguration festivities, has brought in talent recruiter Suzanne Bender, a former “Dancing With the Stars” and “American Idol” booker, to end an effective freeze-out by Hollywood, the insider said.
Bender also worked on Burnett’s “StarMaker,” a short-lived singing competition hosted by P. Diddy that aired on MTV in 2009.
“Trump is very unhappy,” the insider said. “Bender has been tasked with salvaging this… It’s a Hail Mary.”
“It’s coming directly from the principal,” he said, referring to the president-elect. He also scoffed at a recent TMZ report claiming that Trump is “hardly engaged in the party planning at all.”
And obvs, the orange one isn’t very happy. He’s taken to his favorite bully pulpit, Twitter, to lash out at all those m33n Hollywood types who dare to rebuke him.
The so-called “A” list celebrities are all wanting tixs to the inauguration, but look what they did for Hillary, NOTHING. I want the PEOPLE!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 23, 2016
Trump has managed to line up a few acts. We previously reported that America’s Got Talent alum, teen opera singer, Jackie Evancho, will sing the National Anthem before the Inaugural.
Additionally, The Mormon Tabernacle Choir will perform. The Beach Boys (the Mike Love version) is CONSIDERING accepting an offer. TMZ is reporting that several acts are floating the idea in order to gauge public reaction.
Also the New York City Rockettes are set to perform–but not without controversy.
Phoebe Pearl, a Rockette, wrote on her private Instagram account:
“I usually don’t use social media to make a political stand but I feel overwhelmed with emotion. Finding out that it has been decided for us that Rockettes will be performing at the Presidential inauguration makes me feel embarrassed and disappointed. The women I work with are intelligent and are full of love and the decision of performing for a man that stands for everything we’re against is appalling. I am speaking for just myself but please know that after we found out this news, we have been performing with tears in our eyes and heavy hearts. We will not be forced! #notmypresident”
But, apparently the full time dancers have no choice but to take the gig:
Duarte, an actress and commentator whose Facebook page identifies her as the creator, producer and host of “Dead Darlings,” wrote on her social media accounts: “Most of the Rockettes do not want to perform at the inauguration. AGVA, their union, has put in writing to the full time Rockettes that they must accept the inauguration gig or they will lose their jobs. It’s perfect, actually. What could be more fitting for this inauguration than forcing a group of women to do something with their bodies against their will?”
There were rumors that Andre Bocelli was performing, but apparently he bowed out. Trump’s people reportedly reached out to Celine Dion and she turned them down. KISS also said no. Garth Brooks considered it, but decided no in the end. David Foster was asked to participate in the inaugural festivities, and he turned the opportunity down.
According to The Wrap, Team Trump was so desperate to attract big talent, that they were offering ambassadorships to talent bookers! Also Trump’s people were dangling large sums of money, hoping to lure reluctant performers. Note: It’s typically considered such a great honor to perform at an inauguration, that A listers like Beyonce and Springsteen do it for free.
Well, there’s always this guy