It’s still a rumor, but reportedly the themes this week for the American Idol Top 4, is One Hit Wonders (winner of the online vote) and Free Choice.
Y’all know what One Hit Wonders are, right? Artists who hit chart a hit on Top 40, never to return. The artist or artists may continue to make music, but never have another pop hit. Here’s what I think the Idols should sing this week. How about you?
One Hit Wonder
- Candice Glover – What’s Up by 4 Non Blondes
- Kree Harrison – “One of Us” by Joan Osbourne
- Amber Holcomb – “Got To Be Real” by Cheryl Lynn
- Angie Miller – “You Get What You Give” by the New Radicals
Free Pick (a few loose suggestions for the girls)
- Candice Glover – songs to show off her jazzy side, by Ella Fitzgerald or Sarah Vaughan. Or a contemporary Jazz artist, like Cassandra Wilson
- Kree Harrison – I would love for Kree to cover Emmy Lou Harris, Roseanne Cash or Lucinda William. A little more obscure? Nekko Case.
- Amber Holcomb – An upbeat song by a current pop artist like Rihanna or even Pink
- Angie Miller – If we’re staying contemporary–a tune from Sara Bareilles or Ingrid Michaelson? Or something old school from Carly Simon