- American Idol
- Amazing Race
- America’s Got Talent
- Celebrity Apprentice
- Dancing with the Stars
- Glee Spoilers
- The Glee Project
- Ru Paul’s Drag Race
- So You Think You Can Dance
- The Voice
- X Factor
- X Factor UK
- Adam Lambert
- Blake Lewis
- Bo Bice
- Brooke White
- Carrie Underwood
- Casey James
- Chris Daughtry
- Clay Aiken
- Crystal Bowersox
- Danny Gokey
- David Archuleta
- David Cook
- Elliott Yamin
- Haley Reinhart
- James Durbin
- Jennifer Hudson
- Jessica Sanchez
- Jordin Sparks
- Justin Guarini
- Katharine McPhee
- Kellie Pickler
- Kelly Clarkson
- Kris Allen
- Lauren Alaina
- Lee Dewyze
- Pia Toscano
- Phillip Phillips
- Scotty McCreery
- Taylor Hicks
- American Idol 12 Recaps
ETA: Nigel Lythgoe releases a few more spoiler details
with Ryan Seacrest this morning on KISS:
- David Archuleta will sing “Imagine” (there is also a rumor that Clive’s choice for Archie is “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me”. He chose not to spoil any of David Cook’s songs. Since Cookie’s camp is sealed up tight as a drum, we probably won’t know the songs until they are leaked right before the broadcast.
- The Top 2 were able to pick their own coronation song from the Top 10 vote getters of the Idol Songwriters contest. There were only 20 songs total to begin with. Some “contest”, huh? Think TPTB didn’t like the song that got the most votes? They just changed the rules of the game midstream. Makes it hard to do the contest again next year, don’t you think?
- There’s going to be another “Dead Elvis” video (last year, Celine Dion sang a “duet” with Elvis Presley), this time including several people. Blech.
- The “biggest star” in the world will be there. Whatever!
- Nigel confirmed that the Top 5 will sing duets with “somebody.”
- David Cook is performing U2′s “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For”. Not sure if it’s his own pick or the producer’s pick… This will be the first U2 song sung on the Idol stage on performance night. Contestants have tried, but have never been able to get U2 songs cleared.
More spoilers here.
The producers are keeping a tight rein on the song choices for the Finale. Last year, the Top 2 were able to pick two of the three songs they performed for the big Tuesday finale showdown. This year, TPTB feel it necessary to allow Clive Davis, who was recently demoted from his position at BMG, to pick a song for the Final Two. The tight rein tells me that the producers are trying extra hard to control the outcome of this year’s contest. It’ll be pretty easy to tell who they want to win by the songs Clive picks for the contestants (Anyone remember the crappy “Open Arms” pick for Elliott Yamin Season 5?) and how the songwriters contest finally plays out.
I think the producers are gunning for a David Cook win. He’s the contestant with the most commercial potential. He’s got music that can be played on pop stations right now. Even his pre-Idol EP Analog Heart, although demo-quality, contains glimpses of Cookie’s potential as a successful artist. Archie’s appeal isn’t as certain. If his trainwrecktastic take on Chris Brown’s “With You” last week is any indication, Archie may have a hard time finding a spot on the Top 40 charts. His inspirational ballads are better suited to Adult Contemporary–not a market that sells a ton of product.
But the producers don’t always get what they want. See Hicks, Taylor. The voters decide. Yes, I really do believe that. And this year’s contest is shaping up to be a close one. We haven’t had one of those since the Season 2 showdown between Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard.
So, here’s how the song picks are going to work One song is a pick from Clive Davis, One song is a contestant pick, the other is whatever heinous tune wins the American Idol Songwriting contest.
What do you think will happen peeps? Should the contestants pick a new song, or reprise an old one? (I say wow us with something new). Just how hideous can Clive Davis’s pick be for the two Davids? And speculate on which craptastic song will win the Idol songwriting contest…
- Powered by Disqus
- Mariah Carey GMA Wardrobe Malfunction (VIDEO)
- Jennifer Hudson Negotiating to Judge American Idol (UPDATED)
- Idol Headlines for 5/25/13
- Billboard – Chart Date 06/01/13
- Carrie Underwood Donates $1 Million In Tour Proceeds To Red Cross Disaster Relief Efforts
- Simon Cowell: “I’m Bored By Millionaires Bickering Amongst Themselves”
- American Idol 11 Alums, Elise Testone and Deandre Brackensick Get Ready to Release New Music
- Kelly Clarkson Won’t Be Judging American Idol 13
- Ratings: 2012 Season Saw Major Year to Year Declines
- Idol Headlines for 5/23/13
- Glee Star Lea Michele Signs a Book Deal
- DWTS Zendaya and Val Perform “Hip Hop Malfunction” on Live with Kelly and Michael (VIDEO)
- York Couple Arrested After Stabbing Incident Over American Idol Finale
- X Factor UK: Lucy Spraggan Debuts “Lighthouse”
- Idols In Concert – Stats – 05/23/13
- ‘Nashville’ Episode 21 – Season Finale – Recap & Discussion Post (VIDEO)
- Idol Headlines for 5/22/13 – The Evening Edition
- Maroon 5 “Love Somebody” Music Video Debut
- Dancing With The Stars To Undergo Shakeup, Including New Judges (Report)
- Critics’ Choice Television Awards Nominations Announced
- X Factor UK: Judges Confirmed, Double Auditions
- First Wave of Teen Choice Nominations Announced
- Tuesday Ratings: DWTS Finale Lowest in History, The Voice Hits Tuesday Season Low
- Idol Headlines for 5/22/13
- FOX Considering Filling American Idol 13 Judges Panel With Alums (REPORT) (UPDATED)